Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ls1 RX8?

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2008, 08:02 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Summerwolf
I said I thought it was a downgraded motor since it didn't have turbos. If that had a redesigned more reliable rotary (which they did) I'm sure they could have figured a way to package in a couple turbos, make it as much if not more powerful than the FD and still maintain the capabilities in the twisties as the current RX-8. But they didn't. Which sucks.
I agree. I wish it had a turbo on it from the factory too, but if they got a bad reputation for reliability like they did with the FDs it would probably kill off the rotary completely (at least in the U.S.) - something they didn't want to risk. The rotary already has downsides to it such as sub-par fuel economy and oil consumption. Although mine burned very little oil (about 1/2 a quart between oil changes). BTW they were designed to inject oil into the engine to lubricate the apexi seals.
Old 12-24-2008, 08:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

btw the turbos in the fd were much less reliable than the engine itself. although mazda does have other turbo vehicles now. i think its stupid how theres a mazdaspeed 3,6, and mx5 but still no mazdaspeed 8. the mx5 ok, but why the other before the sport car? i think they are worried about reliability, but just 5 psi would make a big difference.
Old 12-24-2008, 08:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

I didn't know they were making multiple "rx" models in Japan at the same time thats pretty interesting. I knew during the 70's they made multiple variations but once the Rx-7 came out that was it til the Rx-8.

I had an FC that I was going to drop an LS1 into but got stationed somewhere I didn't want to drag a project car. An LS1 RX-8 would be sweet IMO and it would have all the suspension options the RX-8 does....which to me would be a huge benefit.
Old 12-29-2008, 05:56 PM
On The Tree

I wonder if the rotards will cry as hard about this swap as they do for their beloved 7's.

DO IT!
Old 12-29-2008, 06:29 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We have an Rx8 here at the dealership I work at. We took it in on trade about 2 weeks ago and the first thing I did was pop the hood to look at how much space there was for a possible ls1 swap. First thing I noticed is that the engine bay is narrow. You could prob just barely fit the ls1, and you'de deff have to use the factory manifolds.. if even those fit. Also I dont remember exactly what in the engine bay makde it hard but generally the shape of the shock towers cut out a lot of room for the engine, I think I remember the brake booster being huge and kinda in the way. It just didnt look like it would fit very well if at all. At least nothing like my FC which has a HUGE engine bay for such a small car.

Also the new renesis rotary (the ones in the Rx8) are much much lighter than the old 13Bs in the FCs and FDs. Not being turbocharged is part of it but they also went through the renesis and tried to save weight absolutly everywhere they could. I dont remember exactl weight numbers but if I'm not going blind deaf dump and mute, I think I remember the renesis being over 100lbs lighter than the ls1. So you will see an effect of handling, not to mention the ls1 will prob need to be mounted higher up in the chassis to clear the pan.

So far it just doesnt seem like a great swap chassis, but I think a narrower engine like an inline 4 or 6 would fit great, still would throw off the weight balance though.
Old 12-30-2008, 12:42 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by usmc320
Yea, I had heard the weight difference wasn't alot between the 2 due to the aluminum LS block, but weight placement would be the bigger factor due to the longer drivetrain. I always kind of wanted the turbo'ed 3 rotor 20B swap myself. Those guys are getting 650rwhp pretty easily with that setup. Pricey though considering it has to be imported.

Ultimately though I ended up just buying a T/A and selling the 8. Oh well.
it would cost even more to swap a 20b into it lol....but ive decided to just sell it and try to buy an ls..
They got a bad name though for the problematic twin turbo system on the 7s, so they tried to sacrifice power for reliability on the 8.
haha
Originally Posted by Flaring Afro
um, the rx8 weighs less than 200 less than ours. with the swap it would be the same, i can imagine.

put a 3 rotor in. dont take out the heart of the car. or forge a crank and put 2 2 rotors together. 700 horsepower n/a would be nice.

actually, its a better engine, just no turbos. but its not the replacement of the fd just because it has a rotary. mazda put that engine in more than rx7s and 8s such as the 3 rotor cosmos. rx8 replaces the mx6 because same price range, both 2+2 cars. the rx7 was competing with corvettes.
3 rotors are epensive and hard to find!
Of course the 8 followed the 7 along with a redesigned rotary engine. No one is disputing that. No one is disputing the lack of torque in the N/A engine either.

As Flaring Afro said earlier the 7 was competing with vettes. I can't imagine anyone thinking the 8 is Mazda's next generation "Vette Killer". It's not even Mazda's "Cobalt SS Killer".
lol itd take it "inthetwisties", but i wish they had gone FI on the 8 in the first place
Originally Posted by Deceptikon
I wonder if the rotards will cry as hard about this swap as they do for their beloved 7's.

DO IT!
they were all actually cool about it
Old 12-31-2008, 11:26 AM
On The Tree

Step one: Remove rotary garbage.
Step two: Fabricate
Step three: Install LS1/T56
Step four: Enjoy!
Old 10-26-2009, 12:45 PM
TECH Resident

Any new details?
And about how much did it cost for this amazing project?
Old 10-26-2009, 06:10 PM
Staging Lane

Heart of a domestic!
Old 10-26-2009, 06:22 PM
Teching In

hinson blows they take forever!!
Old 10-26-2009, 06:31 PM
Staging Lane

My friend did a 350sb on his 2nd gen rx-7 and he had granny speed.. they were pretty good for what he paid for
Old 10-26-2009, 06:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

On December 30 he said he was just going to try to sell it so I doubt he put an ls1 in it without telling us.
Old 10-26-2009, 11:19 PM
Launching!

I tried convincing my friend with his rx8 to do it. He said he just wants to get it turboed....

For you....small engine bay, but possible imo. You'd have to relocate the battery and the fuse boxes. maybe ding at the firewall but I say it's worth the try. As hard as those rotaries are hard to gain power why not save money and get the ls1? It's gonna cost you a new motor anyways, do you really wanna go back to that 1.3L 200 (guessing) hp engine?
Old 10-28-2009, 01:07 AM
Teching In

plz do keep up the process. This would be a perfect swap
Old 01-09-2010, 05:29 PM
Teching In

Be looking for a surprise in the next month.
Old 01-09-2010, 07:25 PM
Teching In

http://www.hinsonsupercars.com/s-942...3-present.aspx

Seems to be coming along. Hinson says he's currently working on custom steering...
Old 05-13-2010, 08:59 AM
Teching In

Exclamation

directly from Hinson's site on the 12th of May 2010..... "Update 5/12/10: The RX8 project is almost complete. The wiring has been finished, and all electronics are working. We are currently building the headers on the car, and the production process on this will take four weeks. In the mean time, we are putting together pricing for the mounting equipment and subsystems. We are hopeful to have the products available for purchase before the headers are completed." http://www.hinsonsupercars.com/s-942...3-present.aspx

Looks like it might only be a month or so until this thing is ready finally!!!!
Old 05-13-2010, 01:19 PM
Teching In

I have seen one before, it was really cool, it was nice that you could put two guys in the back pretty easy.
Old 11-17-2010, 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by inthetwisties
the ls doesnt weight to much more than the renesis, but its just the location....it would be over the front axle so the distribution is going to shift forward, but i dont think it will be anything extreme.

we have been thinking what we could do with the rear...like i said, its still up in the air, we are still trying to figure everything out...as for the guages, there is an adapter for the digital guages
im considering the same swap think iv got a seal out on has 115k no since in rebuilding and plus trannys suck so ls is only alternative i seen where someone did the swap moved weight distrubution 53 front 47 rear using rx8 rear end im thinkin of mounting gto mid section and go from there make up a little more of weight distrubtion also weight was just over 3200 pounds so definite sleeper
Old 02-24-2011, 08:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i cant believe this hasnt been done yet? i mean ppl swap lsx engine into everything, there is one on youtube, some guy put a carburated sbc in it, hacked it all up and then wanted to sell it for over 10k. he claimed it made 500+

Quick Reply: Ls1 RX8?