Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LT1 to 358 vortec (HELP!!!)

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2009, 07:44 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LT1 to 358 vortec (HELP!!!)

Hey guys, I was told I posted this in the wrong place so I'll try it here. Sssooo here goes..........I need some help in finding out if this can be done or not. I am looking at a 94 Z28 camaro with the LT1 but before I buy it I want to know if you can put a 98 vortec in with a carburetor and the HEI distributor. What has to be done: fuel lines, will the trans bolt up, can I still use the puter for trans and guages? Just wondering if its more trouble than its worth. The LT1 has broke crank and cracked block. I built this motor to go in a S10 but ran into this Z. The motor is built for nitrous among other mods so it should have plenty of power. Thanks...............Wheats
Old 01-06-2009, 08:55 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The engine will bolt right in to the stock motor mounts. And depending on the height of the intake, and the air cleaner you use, you may not need a cowl hood, but most likely you will have to replace your hood. The issue will come in with the rear mounted distributor. The front of the cowl will hang over the section where the distributor would be on a traditional SBC. Plenty of guys have just notched this area, to allow for room for a traditional distributor.
Old 01-07-2009, 06:07 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks, How about the trans and fuel lines. I think the trans will bolt up and just put a regulator on the fuel line. And I hope the puter will still control the trans and guages. Just trying to get everything in place before I buy the car. I appreciate your help.
Old 01-07-2009, 08:06 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What kind of transmission do you have? If it's a 700r4, I think you will be fine. If you have a 4L60, or 4L60E, you will definitely be fine. As far as fuel lines, just run them alongside the originals. I don't know much about the computer controls, but you may need some custom programming to get what you want done.
Old 01-07-2009, 12:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by wheats
Thanks, How about the trans and fuel lines. I think the trans will bolt up and just put a regulator on the fuel line. And I hope the puter will still control the trans and guages. Just trying to get everything in place before I buy the car. I appreciate your help.
did u not read the stickys found in the SBC/BBC forum
zone89rs has a write up on the sbc/lt1 swap. most of the info u need wil be found there

Quick Reply: LT1 to 358 vortec (HELP!!!)