Sponsored by:

LS1 Info Wanted

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2003, 12:33 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS1 Info Wanted

Hi.

Firstly an introduction and then the stupid questions.

I'm and English guy living in the UK. I'm building a seven type car and I'm going to use the LS1 engine with a T56 gearbox. The all up weight should be about 1500 lbs so the performance should be lively. The only problem is that we don't have so much LS1 information on this side of the water. Now it's stupid question time.

Can anyone give me basic information of where to start with the engine, i.e. which model year is best to buy, performance figures etc. Can anyone advise me of a good supplier of a second hand low millage engine and gearbox. I intend to ship one to the UK ASAP.

Thanks for the help.
Old 10-09-2003, 12:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Default Re: LS1 Info Wanted

Welcome to the site, and to the world of the LS series motors. Great choice!

Check the LS1-based projects section of this site. They should have plenty of information on the swap. If you can get a copy of the November '03 issue of Chevy High performance(dunno how difficult that might be for ya), they have a few articles on swapping ls1's into non-ls1 cars.

i found my copy and here are two places you can call to talk to them, they're setting up a swap kit. don't know if your vehicle is part of that effort but i'm sure they'd talk to you about it.

Year One
Dept CHP
P.0. Box 521
Braselton, GA 30517
706/658-2140(tech line)
800/932-7663(orders)
www.yearone.com

Brewer's Restoration and Performance(BRP)
Dept CHP
5849 Rogers Rd
Cumming, GA 30040-6228
770/751-0687
www.brphotrods.com

good luck with the conversion bro....that shipping is gonna kill ya ;-) check ebay for motors to get an idea of what they'll cost. should be 2k-3500 for a motor/tranny package. best of luck!!

edit : performance info....forgot this lol. i'd shoot for a 01/02, as they come with the ls6 intake on them, and i do beleive that they reverted back to the 28.4lb/hr injectors.
Old 10-10-2003, 12:56 PM
Staging Lane

Default Re: LS1 Info Wanted

I would also go with the 01 or 02 as long as the price isn't too much more. I wouldn't pay more than 500 extra u.s. dollars for that. You can get a used ls6 intake for cheap. Pay more attention to mileage, etc..