Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 in a 1960 Nomad Needs ECM

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2009, 09:01 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS1 in a 1960 Nomad Needs ECM

My first post! I bought this car with the engine and trans in it. The engine was built by Turnkey Engines in Oceanside. The engine has a cam and 10:1 pistons in it with no MAP sensor or O2 sensors. The PCM is shot and won't link up to their laptop. I can get another PCM from them for $600 with a propietary tune which can only be accessed by them. For another $150/hr they will dynotune it. I have a very limited knowledge on PCM's or laptops for that matter. I wondered what you guys thought about their pricing and if there were other options I might use. BTW they are really cool guys down there and I'm very comfortable with them.........Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails LS1 in a 1960 Nomad Needs ECM-canyonlake.jpg   LS1 in a 1960 Nomad Needs ECM-turnkey390hp.jpg  

Last edited by 60 Nomad; 02-26-2009 at 09:45 PM.
Old 02-27-2009, 03:39 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 60 Nomad
I can get another PCM from them for $600 with a propietary tune which can only be accessed by them. For another $150/hr they will dynotune it. I have a very limited knowledge on PCM's or laptops for that matter.
Holy Cow! So basically they're saying it's $750+ for a PCM swap and a tune?

Bud, I'm not trying to drive a wedge between you and your shop (you have to go where you're comfortable) but damn, they found a vein on you! Surf our classifieds or www.car-parts.com and find a used computer for the year engine you've got - probably in the neighborhood of around $50. Most tuners will replace the computer (C'mon, it's two plugs) and give it a complete tune for $400. The sponsors on here run specials all the time for dyno/tuning.

The other option is to invest in LS1edit or HPtuners and do it yourself. There's a wealth of VE table information on this forum and it will pay for itself in the long run, trust me! Besides, it's always good to learn a new skill. If I can do it (I'm truly computer stupid) then you can. Going off your pictures, you're natually aspirated, so the tune should be fairly easy.

Good luck,
Vince

BTW - Your Nomad is sick.
Old 02-27-2009, 09:23 AM
Staging Lane

By the looks of your ride, another few hundred bucks isn't going to break the bank. If you aren't interested in digging in deep, as in the prievious post, go with whats comfortable. Especially if they are close to you. I'd let them know you feel its a bit pricey and expect some help along the way. Its nice to have someone to call that knows your set-up.

I paid $600 plus for my program and tune (I had the computer). It was money well spent and the tuner stood behid their work and tweeked things for me at no additional cost.
Old 02-27-2009, 11:49 AM
Teching In

Thanks for the replies and compliment! What I failed to state was that this is a Delphi MEFI-4 Marine PCM. I started another thread in PCM Diagnostics because I was getting a lot of looks here and no responses. Also because it seemed a better fit. https://ls1tech.com/forums/pcm-diagn...-pcm-shot.html

I called OBD Diagnostics from a link in that thread and they seem to have it going on. He's around $400 for a new PCM with a tuneable tune and $600 for his tuning software which can tune any unlocked MEFI-4 not just one with some softwares! From what you guys say maybe even a computer moron like me can learn how to tweak my tune. Right now I'm leaning in this direction but I'm open to suggestions.......Thanks again!

Quick Reply: LS1 in a 1960 Nomad Needs ECM