Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MSD 6010 question

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2009, 08:51 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default MSD 6010 question

I have a 98 Trans Am racecar and a complete LS6/th350 setup. The car has no wiring harness or computer and what I want to know is, will the MSD 6010 plug up and run my LS6? Does this plug into things like the injectors or do I have to have a factory harness to run EFI? I know you need the optional EFI harness but can it work with out a factory harness?

My plan was to carb it but my LS6 is sitting on a crate and it's complete from injectors to oil pan. The car has already had the cowl cut and completely stripped to the bare minimum so if it's too much trouble I'll just throw a carb setup on it. I know I'll need a basic wire harness/fuse panel for the starter/fans/alt but I'm not sure if the MSD with the optional harness will do what I need and I figured someone on here has done it before. This a racecar with zero street driving planned
Old 03-11-2009, 09:06 AM
11 Second Club

6010 will only fire the ignition
Old 03-11-2009, 04:37 PM
TECH Junkie

yep, for carb motors only, computer wont tell the injectors what to do.
Old 03-11-2009, 06:45 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

The 6010 can be used to fire the coils and control timing on an injected engine, but to do it you have to have a factory pcm, harness, and an adapter harness from MSD. More trouble than it's worth for an injected engine.
Old 03-11-2009, 08:35 PM
TECH Resident

I still have the 98 harness and pcm but they have been removed from the car. It is easy enough to put it back but the interior harness was cut up. The original plan was to use a carbed setup but I've recently started leaning back towards the efi. But it looks like I'm going to have to go with the carb setup after all.

If I decide to go efi and return the underhood harness back in the car, how would I go about tuning it without the interior harness with the ALDL? I'm thinking I should just go simple here and just use a carb, after all it is a racecar.....