Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

5.3 in a g-body

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2009, 12:58 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5.3 in a g-body

This is an awesome site with a wealth of information-thanks for the expertise. I've searched but not found any concrete answers to my concerns, only references in passing. I've got a 1979 Monte Carlo that I want to be a clean, reliable daily driver, and I know that an LS1 is the way to go. I was going to drop a 5.7 in it, but the increased gas mileage of the 5.3 is alluring. However, I've read that the mileage in a 5.7 can be just as good (30+ with a t56), but that's in a lighter car. I'm looking to go automatic, but I was wondering if any g-body owners who have done the 5.3 swap can shed some light on the subject. I also know that the 5.3 is somewhat more difficult to install due to the accessories and the hood clearance (not to mention the intake or ECM complications). How easy is this to overcome? My main concern is that I can get a complete f-body engine and trans on ebay that will require few mods aside from the usual motor mounts, oil pan, and a/c, but I may pay for the easy install in the long run with gas. Now's my time to drop the cash and do it right, either way. Is the 5.3 worth the extra effort? I'm not looking to create a speed demon, just clean car with a little pep. Thanks for any advice/opinions/recommendations you can provide.