Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

got some codes, one concern...

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2009, 12:50 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default got some codes, one concern...

I swapped an LS1 from a 99 trans am into my 93 rx7...

heres a list of the codes im pulling on my ls1...

p0118 Coolant Temp Circuit Signal high
p0405 EGR sensor A signal short/low
p0412 Air switching valve "A" problem
p0418 Air pump relay control circuit problem
p0449 EVAP system vent control circuit low
p0452 EVAP pressure sensor signal low/short
p0463 Fuel level sensor circuit signal high/open

the only one I'm concerned about is the first one (p0118), I read that this would cause possible bad gas mileage, black smoke out the exhaust, non-running issues, or rough idle issues. also, read it would stop my car from going into closed loop

afaik none of these symptoms apply, except i dont know the gas mileage yet as i am not driving it around.

I was reading up on the coolant temp error, and i found a diagram of the stock sensor, and there were 2 wires coming out of it. Now, i have an aftermarket sensor with only one signal wire....

heres the diagram i'm talking about.
http://www.gearchatter.com/si/374464.png

so should i be worried about this code? or any others? I will eventually get the non-concerning ones cleared out at a tuner.
thanks!
Old 04-17-2009, 03:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The PCM will need the OEM (type) temp sender as input. Your aftermarket sender/gauge will not work. (unless I am missing somehting here). you should put your aftermarket sender/gauge in the passenger side head and use the oem in the driver side with the harness
Old 04-20-2009, 02:49 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bczee
The PCM will need the OEM (type) temp sender as input. Your aftermarket sender/gauge will not work. (unless I am missing somehting here). you should put your aftermarket sender/gauge in the passenger side head and use the oem in the driver side with the harness
just did this today, cleared the code. THank you.

But another code popped up, p0481 fan control relay 2 &/3 circuit

Is this another code that i can just ignore and clear? I'm running one fan relay that is controlled by the ecu.

and will my engine run normally with these codes present, or do i need a tuner to clear them out for it to run properly?
Old 04-20-2009, 03:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

481 is for your cooling fan. PCM stock has 2 relay controls out of the PCM, 481 says the second one is open, no relay found. The plus side of programming the pcm to remove those, is when there is something important wrong, the light will come on and inform you of this.

You can have it programmed, and keep the vats signal generator as a anti-theft device , of you could have the pcm programmed to remove the vats as well. your choice there.

with exception of the engine coolant temp code, all others should not effect performance. also, make sure you are not sharing the temp sender with another device. Temp sender needs to go to PCM and only the PCM, any additional device, such as an electric temp gauge, will change the resistance and throw off the reading. You can use the other head's port to install a second sensor, or use 98 ls1 sensor that has 3 pins, 2 for the pcm, 1 for gauge.

Quick Reply: got some codes, one concern...