Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Quick Question on LM7 and LS1/6 variations.

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2009 | 11:03 PM
Teching In

Red face Quick Question on LM7 and LS1/6 variations.

Ok I'm about to order the 243 heads I got my head wrapped on these particular heads because the numbers are on the top of the LS1's but I'm not sure if I should and maybe throw them on a LM7 mainly because I can grab a short block fairly easy and cheap. I know most if not all Gen III motors are interchangeable so what will this combination yield as far as specifications and output are concerned?

Basically I'm just trying to find a reasonable combination without emptying the pockets. But I would like the crank HP to stay at a minimum of 310fwhp stock. Any advice here is gladly appreciated.

Oh yea and if you haven't guessed by now it's going in my S14 .

Thanks,

Freddy

Last edited by Silvia346ci; 04-30-2009 at 11:46 PM.
Old 05-01-2009 | 05:10 PM
Teching In

oh well I guess it's a dumb question , I'm sure I'll figure it out on my own.
Old 05-01-2009 | 05:25 PM
Staging Lane

I don't think its dumb. just a little hard to read and understand what you are asking. I always troll the 5.3 threads because I have one waiting for a cam.

Instead of buying the heads separate and then buying a short block, have you thought of looking for a later 5.3? just trying to save you money. I have a new '08 sitting on a pallet and it has the 243 heads. The 799 castings are the same and I know these appeared on earlier 5.3's, maybe around '05? I've seen 5.3 motors with 50K miles on them listed for $700 and thats the asking price. I drive a tahoe with the LM7 and 40K miles, it gets up and goes so I wouldn't be worried about the performance with that mileage.

Pretty sure you can easily reach your horsepower goals with only a cam change, maybe not even - later 5.3's are pretty close to the 320 hp rating at the crank. I've read that "predator z" can recommend a cam for your goals.
Old 05-01-2009 | 05:50 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the input and yea I'm trying to see what the best combination is for a 5.3. I didn't realize they put 243 heads on the 08's. I'm gonna look further into this.

I guess basically I'm just looking for an affordable easily accessible LS1 combination with 5.7 HP and TQ numbers.

Like you said get a 5.3 with a Cam or whatever else, that's a start.
Old 05-03-2009 | 08:30 AM
Teching In

http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles...ine/index.html

heres some good info for a nice cam ,,if i could figure out part number id have it..

Quick Reply: Quick Question on LM7 and LS1/6 variations.