Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS2 into 99 Mustang

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2011, 09:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very nice setup. Do you have any track times yet? Videos?
Old 09-01-2011, 12:18 AM
Teching In

So in the first pics..with the head off. Why are the pistons in upside down?
Old 09-01-2011, 06:53 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by serpentnoir
I fired it up today. After endless hours it runs quite well for a motor with the "wrong" computer. A little rich but a few runs on the dyno should fix that. It does not want to idle. Not sure why. I don't know how to test the Ford IAC to make sure it works.

Thats funny to any fox owner. The stock ones have the same problem (IAC).
I think its way cool you got this to work. Looking forward to the victory burnout vid.
Old 09-02-2011, 01:47 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 2muchTA4U
So in the first pics..with the head off. Why are the pistons in upside down?
That's a junk piston I used to mock-up a bunch of stuff early in the project.
Old 09-02-2011, 01:51 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Novaman
Thats funny to any fox owner. The stock ones have the same problem (IAC).
I think its way cool you got this to work. Looking forward to the victory burnout vid.
I wasn't too happy with the way the IAC is mounted but there is no other choice except to do a remote setup.

No burnouts here. The car is strictly a road course toy.
Old 09-02-2011, 10:36 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by NemeSS
why not use MSII instead of the ford stuff??
Ms3 is the way to go. ms2 is old news. lol I have one on my fox drag car and starting a new ls powered ford street car using another ms3 right now.
Old 09-03-2011, 06:25 PM
On The Tree

All cleaned up and ready to go to the track tomorrow.

Old 05-10-2012, 03:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Question for you.

Your pics in the first post show the mod motor mounts bolted directly to the block with no adapter plates. Did you have to drill and tap a hole in one of the LS block bosses to make this happen, or did it just line up? Why are people buying the adapter plates for 4.6 mounts in this case?

Thanks.
Old 05-11-2012, 09:25 PM
On The Tree

if you look closely I extended the rear leg (welded a piece) of the mount to reach one of the bosses on the block.

On a separate note, I drove the car a few times at the track and on the street. I have 300 miles on the motor and it runs very well. All the Ford gauges work.
Old 05-13-2012, 09:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks. I didn't notice the modification to the mounts. I'll probably just make mounts that fit with the stock k member and whatever headers I buy. I'm not interested in the AJE or Kooks stuff, and I plan to go with used parts from either MM or Griggs in the far future.

I thought about making my gauges work, but my car is a 2.3L fox, so the gauges aren't great to begin with. The 85 mph speedo and 6k tach are mostly worthless.
Old 05-14-2012, 09:15 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by usdmholden
I'm not interested in the AJE or Kooks stuff, and I plan to go with used parts from either MM or Griggs in the far future.
Then get a K-member for a Modular motor. The 4.6L motor mounts drop right in. Then extend the rear leg about 1 inch like I did and drill a hole for the rear boss. Done.
Old 06-24-2013, 12:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Which oil pan did you run on the MM k member? Did you go dry sump as you mentioned previously, or did you stay wet sump?

I am trying to figure out if I will need to modify my fbody oil pan. I'm ordering the MM conversion kit for a fox (mod motor k member with fox a arms and steering components).
Old 06-24-2013, 03:45 PM
Staging Lane

what did you do about the clutch cable, did you make a bracket to hold it in place once its attached to the clutch fork? if so can you provide pictures
Old 06-24-2013, 05:48 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by usdmholden
Which oil pan did you run on the MM k member? Did you go dry sump as you mentioned previously, or did you stay wet sump?

I am trying to figure out if I will need to modify my fbody oil pan. I'm ordering the MM conversion kit for a fox (mod motor k member with fox a arms and steering components).
check your PM. yes I did go dry sump. MM k-member requires offset rack bushings which pushes the rack up closer to the pan. if you use regular non-offset bushings you will have to increase the stack of spacers for bumpsteer. I think it is smarter to play with spacers on the motor mounts instead of screwing up the suspension. I ended up making my own solid motor mounts so I made them in such a way as to put the motor where I wanted it.
Old 06-24-2013, 06:12 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by matt99
what did you do about the clutch cable, did you make a bracket to hold it in place once its attached to the clutch fork? if so can you provide pictures
These are all the pictures I have. Note that this is work in progress and it is all tack welded for fitment prior to be fully welded. I don't have a picture of the final result. I even made a heat shield to cover the cable just like Ford had it.

Side view. The final bracket was much smaller. The first hole was way too far out. Not sure what I was thinking. it is 1/2" plate to replicate the thickness of the aluminum housing on the original 03 cobra trans. I had to play with the position of the bracket and adjust the ball stud quite a bit until I had the correct range of travel. I ended up with "0.030 gap between the pressure plate and disk when depressed fully. I wish I had more but I cannot get more travel out of the fork.

03 cobra T56 trans midplate with LS1 input shaft mated to a Quicktime LS1 steel bellhousing. All the bolt holes line-up except for one. Not a big deal.

In order to get enough travel to depress the diaphragm I had to shorten the fork 1". you have to cut this with a cut-off wheel. the fork is heat treated and too hard for a hack saw.
Old 08-05-2015, 11:02 AM
On The Tree

Default The car is for sale in the classifieds

After 16 years of ownership the car is for sale. If interested you can find here. It would save a potential owner all the trouble of doing this conversion themselves.
Old 08-05-2015, 07:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,435 Likes on 905 Posts

Originally Posted by serpentnoir
After 16 years of ownership the car is for sale. If interested you can find here. It would save a potential owner all the trouble of doing this conversion themselves.
Seems like a sweet deal! GLWS...

Andrew

Quick Reply: LS2 into 99 Mustang