Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ford PS Rack Problem!

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2009, 12:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cjmatt
OK, i popped the pressure fitting off my pump today and the DSE fitting definitely doesnt fit. it will screw onto the end of the pressure line, but is nowhere near close to fitting in the pump itself
anyone?
Old 06-21-2009, 08:24 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Did you pull out the fitting that goes directly in the pump housing? If so, there should be a shuttle valve and a spring behind it. The guys at DSE said it would fit my '03 vette pump, I didn't ask about anything else...

Russ
Old 06-22-2009, 07:58 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by S10xGN
Did you pull out the fitting that goes directly in the pump housing? If so, there should be a shuttle valve and a spring behind it. The guys at DSE said it would fit my '03 vette pump, I didn't ask about anything else...

Russ
did the fitting replace the shuttle valve and spring? I know the fitting was bottoming out before i even got to the threads. its still on the car so I didnt really get a good look down the hole. I was able to get to the fitting without removing the pulley
Old 06-23-2009, 09:23 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by cjmatt
did the fitting replace the shuttle valve and spring? I know the fitting was bottoming out before i even got to the threads. its still on the car so I didnt really get a good look down the hole. I was able to get to the fitting without removing the pulley
No, just the fitting is swapped, the valve and spring remain in place. Well, you'll have to hold them up in there... There's pressure from the spring, so it helps to have 3 hands or lot's of patience.

Russ
Old 07-19-2009, 09:13 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by S10xGN
No, just the fitting is swapped, the valve and spring remain in place. Well, you'll have to hold them up in there... There's pressure from the spring, so it helps to have 3 hands or lot's of patience.

Russ
UPDATE: Maiden voyage on the car today and I have absolutely NO power assist! So maybe the above advice is incorrect? Can't imagine cutting flow from 3 gpm to 2 gpm wil drop the assist all the way out, so maybe it was installed wrong...

Anybody?

Russ
Old 07-21-2009, 08:09 PM
TECH Junkie

Well, that's totally freaky! I pulled the (DSE) fitting out of my pump today and there was no spring or pressure relief valve! I KNOW what a fight it was to get the fitting in with that stuff still in there... Oh well, area 54 here I come! Of course, GM can supply the spring, but not the valve, so I ordered a reman'd pump from Advance (Cardone #20-822). I'll see if I can make a "new" valve on my lathe and keep my old pump for a spare. On top of that, I wrecked my pulley trying to remove it, the lip that the puller grabs decided to snap off. So now I need to bust it off and see about removing the hub... Heat maybe?

Strangely, DSE told me (over the phone) to discard the spring and valve and just screw in their fitting. When I "autopsied" my pump I found that without those 2 pieces, the pressure just dumps back into the suction (which is exactly what was happening - no assist)! When my Cardone gets here, I'll pull the valve and draw it up, then put the pump in exactly as it came.

Anyone want a DSE valve? $25.00 shipped to the lower 48...

Russ
Old 07-30-2009, 09:35 AM
TECH Junkie

UPDATE:

After looking up inside the valve housing on the "new" pump and comparing it to my old pump, I realized that the PRV and spring were still there, just jammed up inside the bore. I had to drill a small hole in the end of the housing and use a pin punch to drive out the PRV. I could epoxy a set-screw in the hole, but the piston still wants to stick in the bore and I cannot resolve that problem, so I guess I'll get my $30 core charge back on it...

Anyways, the "new" pump is installed (along with the DSE valve) and all works well. HINT: use some oil on the pulley bore and shaft before installing it, goes on much easier!

Russ

Quick Reply: Ford PS Rack Problem!