Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Yet another, BMW E-36 LSx conversion...

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2009, 03:36 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks for responding. i was thinking about doin a lsx into a m coupe. keep up the good work. looks nice.
Old 08-04-2009, 05:07 PM
Teching In

Nice build up< i am doing the same swap but am using an L33 5.3l HO all aluminium engine out of an '06 silverado i picked up for $800 including all accesories and only has 26k miles on it. just need to find a t56 now and then i can complete it.

Keep us posted
Old 08-05-2009, 02:01 PM
Launching!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by lsxm3
Nice build up< i am doing the same swap but am using an L33 5.3l HO all aluminium engine out of an '06 silverado i picked up for $800 including all accesories and only has 26k miles on it. just need to find a t56 now and then i can complete it.

Keep us posted
SMOKEN price on the L33 AND with the accessories!
Old 08-05-2009, 02:05 PM
Launching!

Got my lights finally. I’ll spare you the details, I’m just glad I got my lights.

Side fender and front corner are smoked clear with stealth bulbs, (stealth bulbs installed in the pic). Taillights are smoked with stealth bulbs, (Sorry, orange bulb is in this pic,), headlights are glass lens Euro Ellipsoids, HID low beams with 50w ballasts, 5K bulbs, protective film on the glass. I did NOT get the angel eyes. Angel eyes look fantastic on the 5 series but so many copy cats have over done them on so many other cars, I feel no need to follow the herd on that one... These Euro lights do have the city light sockets and wiring, which I may install bulbs in.

Any how, the lights should help clean up the car visually in getting rid of the amber lenses and the HID’s should improve nighttime forward vision.

Old 08-05-2009, 02:20 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by blade*13
is your m3 chassis the same as the m coupes? if so pm me i have some questions for you.
Found an M-coupe LSx swap! Franken-Coupe..

http://www.pbfut.com/EngineSwap/index.htm

Hope that helps.
Old 08-05-2009, 07:11 PM
Launching!

Had big plans today to get the heads finished, assembled and possibly installed on the short block! Between running my wife’s daily driver into town for new tires and changing the oil in it, then goofing off online, ordering a pilot bearing, etc, I didn’t quite meet my goal though did get a little done. All the treaded holes are now chamfered and chased the threads, removed the broken exhaust bolt and heli-coiled that hole. Tomorrow, I hope to get the machine work done, (cut the seats, deck the heads), as well as final cleaning and assembly.

For those interested, here are all the thread sizes for the various threaded holes in the LSx cylinder heads.

Spark plug 14x1.25mm
Coolant temp port 12x1.5mm
Ancillary/accy holes 10x1.5mm
Exhaust manifold 8x1.25
Rocker arm mounting bosses 8x1.25mm
Intake manifold 6x1.0mm
Valve cover hold down 6x1.0mm
Steam tube hold down 6x1.0mm

Till the next update…
Old 08-06-2009, 09:01 PM
Launching!

Got around to cutting the valve seats and surfacing the heads today. Machine work is now done. 4 angles on the seats, (technically 5, but the chamber cutter only left its radius, not the flat, so I’m not counting it), performed just a tad more hand blending after using the chamber cutter. Intake seats are .040” wide, exhaust seats are .060” wide. Both intake and exhaust valve also have a 30 degree back cut.

During surfacing, I only took .004” off each head, they both cleaned up 100% in .003”. (A huge thank you to my wife for not overheating the engine over the past 160,xxx miles).

Next step is to CC the chambers, setup the valve train, final clean, assembly, then attach the heads to the short block.

Intake and exhaust seats just after the first cut, 3 angles, (30, 45 and 60 degrees). The final 2 angles are added with separate cutters.

Ready to be removed from the mill after being surfaced;
Name:  mach2.jpg
Views: 2944
Size:  22.5 KB

Name:  mach3.jpg
Views: 2938
Size:  44.4 KB

Machine work done, awaiting final clean;
Name:  mach4.jpg
Views: 2956
Size:  59.3 KB
Old 08-10-2009, 09:30 PM
Launching!

Happiness is;
Torqueing the last bolt on your LSx long block!

I dub this mild 5.3 the LS-7/8ths. (just shy of an LS1).

Found a good spot for the 16 valve emblem, though probably will end up putting it under the hood somewhere.
Valve covers will be wrinkle black!

Name:  cvr.jpg
Views: 2981
Size:  73.3 KB

Name:  16vM.jpg
Views: 3009
Size:  66.1 KB
Old 08-10-2009, 09:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Very nice Braap. What are your plans for the headers/exhaust?
Old 08-10-2009, 09:54 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Schitzo
Very nice Braap. What are your plans for the headers/exhaust?
Top secret, for now. Stay tuned...
Old 08-10-2009, 10:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ok ok teacher braap, I'll get back in my seat and wait
Old 08-12-2009, 01:55 AM
TECH Regular

This is awesome man, that car was so clean to start with, now it should be even better! I love the look of those M cars
Old 08-12-2009, 09:57 PM
Launching!

Ohhh.. Ahhh..
Wrinkle black valve covers…
Sorry there isn’t much more than that right now… I’ve been asked to “slow down”! Problem with that is if I go any slower I’ll stall! I’ve got approx 2-3 more weeks of head scratching, gives my help a little more time.

Name:  blkvlv1.jpg
Views: 2969
Size:  85.8 KB

Name:  blkvlv2.jpg
Views: 2952
Size:  85.9 KB
Old 08-15-2009, 10:35 PM
Launching!

Not much to update. Just stabbing, restabbing, and stabbing the power train in and out of the car, looking for that elusive sweet spot mounting location. After some component modification and then finessing the power-train in a few locations in the car, I did find a spot I like with few compromises. Keeps the crank C/L “angle(up and down) in line with the OE BMW, decent “compromise” in clearance around the typical tight areas.

Gahts a bits mah hed itch-en bed-fah I’s commits to dis spot…

Name:  DSC_2992.jpg
Views: 2954
Size:  84.1 KB
Old 08-23-2009, 07:11 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by BRAAPZ
SMOKEN price on the L33 AND with the accessories!
Yeah i thought so too. My TB, Cam, Hardened pushrods, and Valve springs should all be here by Wednesday so the engine can be finally all done. ill get a thread stared with it one of these days but being a full time med student and also teaching cls classes for the army and working a full time job has me streched a little thin...

Anyways lets get some updates about these headers your gonna be running cause i am aso in need of some!
Old 08-28-2009, 05:19 AM
Launching!

Wow, my last update was a week an half ago?!?!
Truth be told, I’ve been lazy the past week and a half, not much physical progress. Went out to the shop and looked over the car a bit, looked over the pan/x-member a bit, glanced at the cruise control, pretty sure I found a cool new location for the ABS module, found a neat little reverse switch mod, (reverse switch on the trans is REAL close to the trans tunnel), drank more than few FOSTERS’s over that period… This whacked out work schedule I’m sure has had some influence on the lack of motivation as well. Positive motivation is this the BMW is my daily driver, so in the mean time I have been driving Plan “B” and Plan “C”, (Plan “B” is an ’85 Scooby-Doo GL wagon that was given to me for free, 200,295 miles on it now, engine starting ticking pretty loudly this week, plan “C” is my ’90 Chev full size Ext cab 2wd parts/shop/farm truck!) With Plan B looking like it needs a new engine, (engine swap of course, EJ22), the LS 7/8 powered M3 must move forward…

The only news currently is that I am wavering on an EMS. I currently have WOLF V-500, like the system, very powerful, was in my ’93 Nissan 300-ZX, will run the LSx as well, but Vi-PEC is also very VERY VERY intriguing. Sooo much so that I am considering ordering it. I might keep the V-500 for another project or sell it. What I do with the V-500 depends on my how my budget unfolds over the next few months, but I am seriously considering the Vi-PEC system.

Bang for the buck, both compare nicely to the uber-exotic offerings with 8 channel sequential ignition output, tons of user definable inputs and outputs, VVT control, GM idle air control, Staged injectors or blending of for those running exotic fuels such as Meth blends, race gas in separate tanks, etc. Tons of boost support for those of you addicted to boost with built turbo timer, etc. Vi-PEC supports drive by wire. I ran V-500 on my ’93 300-ZX before I sold the car, I like the user interface, controllability, and mostly the consistency in how the engine ran vs the OE Nissan EFI! Ran smoother, crisper throttle response, seamless, no sacrifice in MPG! Support for the WOLF when you have questions is a bit awkward, Vi-PEC on the other hand has it’s own dedicated forum, dealer support and the owner will even help you directly!

I understand the GM PCM is very stable and seamless when properly tuned, I have no qualms in using it and encourage others to use it, especially if running N/A and stock or with mild mods. Plug and play and highly tunable. If you are planning to boost and are serious about boost and Engine management control of a boosted engine, the GM PCM will work, but you’d be better off going aftermarket stand alone!

Screen shot I took of the WOLF V-500 when I had it on the ZX.

Spark map for the VG30DE

Last edited by BRAAPZ; 11-10-2009 at 06:23 PM.
Old 09-08-2009, 04:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

so how bout an update after Labor Day?
Old 09-08-2009, 06:04 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by CarsandWomen
so how bout an update after Labor Day?
Not much to update, been slacking real bad the last couple weeks, work schedule sucketh, no motivation to do squat diddly! That will change next week, then I’ll be back at it!

I did trade my GTO pan for a good F-bod pan last week, received my 28 lb LS1 injectors, installing those in the manifold tonight, ordered my WOLF EMS universal harness that comes out of AU, should be here in about 3 weeks then it’s onto wiring!

Will be relocating the ABS unit, to an area that I have not seen used yet, at least no one that has publicly shared their LSx E36 conversion…
Old 09-08-2009, 07:05 AM
TECH Regular

Watching very intently, your detail on the build is awesome!! Can't wait to see more!
Old 09-08-2009, 07:50 AM
rao
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have no idea why you are not using the GM PCM, but the Wolf software has some fancy graphs!

Quick Reply: Yet another, BMW E-36 LSx conversion...