Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

the 5 wire hook up...need some help

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2009, 10:34 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default the 5 wire hook up...need some help

Ok ive searched and read a whole LOT of info on modifying the wire harness...what i have not found is a good schematic that i can look at...just a list of the pin assignments and what they do really doesnt do it for me becasue i need something to look at like a picture...

Also i need to know what the exact five wires and what they are for, what needs to be fused or relayed...im pretty confident i can get this done by my self with just a little direction....

One other thing...what sensor on the motor its self do i need to be using...there are a whole bunch, as of right now the oil sensor on back of block, temp sensor in head are the ones i know i am not going to use...i know i need the MAF and the O2 sensor......
Old 06-08-2009, 12:22 AM
sawzall wielding director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Well lets start with what your swapping. Is it truck wiring harness, f-body, vette, GTO? what year? what about the PCM? What vehicle is this going into.

As for sensors its a huge "IT Depends" because mostly its personal preference/taste. You mostlikely don`t need the oil pressure sensor (unless its a newer 3 wire truck sensor because then it would probably be easier to run it than delete it). You should run the coolant temp sensor because the PCM uses that for its calculations. MAF depends on your tune, you can run with or without it depending on your setup. You can eliminate the rear O2 sensors (unless your going full 100% emissions legal). You should keep the front O2 sensors, but it is possible to eliminate them (the LS1 boat guys do.....water cooled exhausts and O2 sensors don`t mix well. IIRC you can get a LS1 to run with just a cam position sensor, crank position and TPS sensor, but its not going to run nearly as smooth and seamlessly as if you use all the sensors. In general the more sensors you use the better factory like driveability it will have.
Old 06-08-2009, 07:32 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well its a truck harness...the motor is a 2005 and it was DBW but i converted it back over to DBC so i could run the 700r4 behind it...and its going into an 82 chevy fullsize blazer...the harness and PCM are off a 01 motor 5.3 truck

i will probably use the temp sensor since you said it uses it for calculations, i had planned on deleting the back 2 02 sensors, i have the MAF and i figured i would have to run the TPS...A really good schematic would help me out alot, i am more then capable of figuring this out with a little time i know i am....