Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ls1 in an 88 fox.. In progress.

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2009, 09:06 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

some better quality pics.. Anyone ever see a 3" exhaust going straight out the back with a suspension like mine? We can make pretty extreme bend's but dont have access to a water bender so nothing tooooo crazy.
Attached Thumbnails ls1 in an 88 fox..  In progress.-captured-2009-10-21-00005.jpg   ls1 in an 88 fox..  In progress.-captured-2009-10-21-00001.jpg   ls1 in an 88 fox..  In progress.-captured-2009-10-21-00007.jpg  
Old 10-22-2009, 09:22 PM
TECH Addict

Received 47 Likes on 31 Posts

Maybe I should start watermarking stuff

Get a mandrel bend kit and start mocking them up. Youll regret trying to do one continuous piece
Old 10-22-2009, 10:44 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i like those wheels what are they?
Old 10-22-2009, 11:36 PM
Teching In

thanks! their saleen sc style 17x10 rears, 17x8 fronts.
Old 11-09-2009, 09:19 PM
Teching In

Finally made it back to NY to get some work done on the car (I attend college in PA)

the previous owner who converted it to a 5.0 must have just painted the engine bay black without proper prep. I could actually scrape some of the paint off with my fingernail. I started scuffing it up so we could seal and just found flaking white paint under most of the black. Pretty much a nightmare so i broke out the grinder and went to town. Everyhting i couldnt get to with the grinder i scrubbed and scuffed the hell out of. Had to pull the front end (k member and...everything) After airbrushing the dust and scrubbing the entire thing down for the...4th time? I de-greased and ended up with a PERFECT engine bay. around midnight last night we finally had it all sealed up. SOOOOO CLEAN! it's now painted glass black and completely gutted ready for the drop.

(no pics of the black, and i didnt have a camera at the shop so those pics will have to wait until next weekend.)

Hopefully i'll work out a harness this week and if i can manage a full weekend in the shop we'll have it dropped and start wiring. MAYBE. we'll even get it running..... hopefully.

Has anyone ever dealt with Painless Harness for a custom ls1 harness???

here are some horrible quality pics from this weekend. (cell phone was all i had)

The pic of the engine bay was obviously not after I had i all cleaned up, it looked MUCH better.
Attached Thumbnails ls1 in an 88 fox..  In progress.-1108092215.jpg   ls1 in an 88 fox..  In progress.-1108091724.jpg   ls1 in an 88 fox..  In progress.-1108091645.jpg   ls1 in an 88 fox..  In progress.-1108092217.jpg   ls1 in an 88 fox..  In progress.-1108092218a.jpg  

Old 09-15-2010, 09:57 AM
Teching In

After a year of sitting around collecting dust due to a lack of funds, its finally going back in the shop.

Not even a day in and we ran into more problems.

-the aje motor mounts dont line up no matter how much we tried to adjust, so we'll have to drill them out to get the motor and tranny in straight.
-the trans crossmember isnt even close, going to assume its for a ford t-56 or some ****.

-the flaming river solid shaft hits the header, so were gonna have to put a small dent in to make it clear unless there is some other magic solution.. (how the **** did the stock steering shaft fit with the conversion headers??)

other then that, the from hubs from aerospace components had to be re-machined so the front rims would bolt up flush..

so, the chassis is all set...and nothing else works.

anyone running a fuel cell with the setup? ..advice on which to get??
Old 09-15-2010, 10:46 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jackmonster1
After a year of sitting around collecting dust due to a lack of funds, its finally going back in the shop.

Not even a day in and we ran into more problems.

-the aje motor mounts dont line up no matter how much we tried to adjust, so we'll have to drill them out to get the motor and tranny in straight.
-the trans crossmember isnt even close, going to assume its for a ford t-56 or some ****.

-the flaming river solid shaft hits the header, so were gonna have to put a small dent in to make it clear unless there is some other magic solution.. (how the **** did the stock steering shaft fit with the conversion headers??)

other then that, the from hubs from aerospace components had to be re-machined so the front rims would bolt up flush..

so, the chassis is all set...and nothing else works.

anyone running a fuel cell with the setup? ..advice on which to get??
1- Not sure what the problem is with your AJE mounts, I had to bore out the holes a bit to get the mount to bolt to the engine (just used a drimmel with a bit on the end and opened the holes up a bit). After that the mounts fit fine and bolt to the K memeber like cake.

2- I am running the flamming river shaft and dynatech headers, i had a problem with the shaft hitting the rear primary (number 7) and found out that dynatech messed up and designed their swap headers around the sn95, they now have a new drivers side header that fixes the problem and assuming your headers are still new (and assuming they are dynatechs) they will replace that header free of charge.

3- I am running a 10 gallon cell, mine has no fuel level sender so I am going to have to replace this cell before it is all said and done, other then that just find out the dimensions that'll fit. I have mine sumped through the trunk floor.
Old 09-15-2010, 12:49 PM
Teching In

thanks for the reply

-the mounts bolted up and fit fine, but the motor is twisted.. so were gonna have to drill them out some so we can straighten it out

-the headers are kooks conversion 1 7/8 primaries. I personally haven't seen how bad they hit, but even if it's slight contact i'd prefer to leave the headers intact. I'm waiting on a call back from kooks as I write

I'm thinkin a jeg's 16gal with a fuel level sender and walbro 255 in tank would do me just fine.

-would i be about to fit a 20lb bottle and my battery box with a 16 gal?? seems like it'll be pretty tight
Old 09-17-2010, 10:41 AM
Teching In

apparently the steering shaft is going to clear once the motor is sitting straight..
Attached Thumbnails ls1 in an 88 fox..  In progress.-cid__downsized950916001557.jpg  
Old 09-18-2010, 11:41 AM
Staging Lane

The motor will sit over to one side a little with that set up. Getting the right trans crossmember may fix part of the problem. You can also loosen the mounts where they attatch to the k member and adjust some there. That will help with the steering shaft some. Another thing you can do is loosen the steering column under the dash and it will allow you a little play as well. It doesnt all fit great when installing but it all will go together making it look like it coulda been there from the factory.
Old 09-20-2010, 12:19 PM
Teching In

SO! aje sent the wrong crossmember, and one of the welds on the motor mount was a little over 3/8's of an inch off.. that explains why the motor was so twisted in the hole. so they are sending new mounts and the right crossmember, and we can finally make some real progress. measure everything, get it in nice and order a driveshaft. Going to order the fuel pump and cell this week and get her running.
Old 09-20-2010, 12:28 PM
On The Tree

I am also struggling with the engine sitting in the engine bay crooked and steering shaft not fitting in with the headers. What did aje say about the mounts being wrong?
Old 09-20-2010, 12:49 PM
Teching In

that they fucked them up essentially. Sending me two new mounts this week, everything should fit just fine assuming they got it right this time.
Old 09-20-2010, 01:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

Good to hear you are getting it worked out. I put my motor in my car this weekend and everything fit as if it was factory. I did have to buy a longer steering shaft but it does not look like I'm going to have any issues with it.

Here is a thread of my car I made in the texas section.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/texas-mem...stang-ls1.html
Old 09-20-2010, 01:17 PM
Teching In

It'd been over a year since I started, initially thinking it would take a couple months before I had her on the street. Everything cost about twice what I figured and not much has gone right. Hopefully she'll be worth the wait
Old 09-20-2010, 03:15 PM
Staging Lane

Ya they sent me the wrong one too!
Old 09-21-2010, 07:02 PM
Teching In

Brake lines went in today, along with two new axle seals since mine started leaking EVER so slightly, probably from sitting around for about two years. Anywho this sort of worked out since I've never opened it up. EVERYTHING looks brand new. Now its all sealed up and filled with amsoil waiting to go

-so, a new problem came up with the brakes, I swear NOTHING will go right with this car. I went with aerospace components for all the braking components. On first arrival I was pumped cause the fit and finish appeared first rate, the back rotors and bolted right up, spun freely.. On the other hand, the front has gone all wrong.

-the Front hub assemblies from Aerospace were too wide for my rims, even with the supplied spacer my rims sat about 1/4" from the spacer. Sent the assembled hubs back and they milled them down to my measurements and send them right back within the week.

-I thought all was well, the wheels bolted up nice and flush, but we've already had to drill out the caliper mounting bracket to fir flush, and now all mounted up the front pads rub very bad. They are three piece calipers and it appears we can just add another spacer and it will clear perfectly. We'll see how it goes

I've never dealt with so many problems from so many different companies, slightly pissed off, but refusing to let it get to me. I just want me ******* car running and driving

Anyone ever see a 3" exhaust on a foxbody going under the rear axles? I'm thinking that'll be easier then trying to snake it through somehow. I've seen it on a ton of f-body's so i figured it could work for me. I realllyyyyy want a full 3 inch out the back. Without the stock fuel tank cluttering up the back end it should look pretty clean and unique
Old 10-01-2010, 09:57 AM
Teching In

headed up to Syracuse last weekend to check in on the car.. new motor mounts are perfect! the motor sits perfectly straight.. and the new crossmember is awesome, adjustable front to back and side to side.. the brakes should be sorted out soon.. getting there slowly but surely
Old 10-19-2010, 01:10 PM
Launching!

Do you happen to have another diagram of the fuel line layout? Seems like the other ones are all deleted.
Old 10-19-2010, 01:47 PM
Staging Lane

Looks good

Quick Reply: ls1 in an 88 fox.. In progress.