Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How? Disable A/C and Power Steering

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2009, 04:08 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How? Disable A/C and Power Steering

I want to get my engine up and running, but I don't have the A/C lines or power steering lines run yet. Can I just block off where the A/C lines would connect to the back of the compressor? What should I do with the PS pump?

Thanks!
Old 10-23-2009, 04:22 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 196 Likes on 142 Posts

If you're just trying to get started, just leave the belt off. The A/C doesn't matter if it doesn't have any lines on it, just don't hook any power to it. The power steering, if you run it without any fluid, or block off where the hoses go, you'll likley damage the pump.
Old 10-23-2009, 04:35 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would like to run the engine for a while on an engine test stand and then install it in the car - hopefully drive it to the shops to have the lines made up. I wouldn't be able to run long enough without the serpentine belt though.

Good to know I can just leave the A/C completely disconnected. For the power steering, could I get a hydraulic shop to make up a "bypass" hose that goes from the pump's hi-pressure outlet port to low pressure return port?

Last edited by Cutlass3800; 10-23-2009 at 04:40 PM.
Old 10-23-2009, 07:51 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Cutlass3800
I would like to run the engine for a while on an engine test stand and then install it in the car - hopefully drive it to the shops to have the lines made up. I wouldn't be able to run long enough without the serpentine belt though.

Good to know I can just leave the A/C completely disconnected. For the power steering, could I get a hydraulic shop to make up a "bypass" hose that goes from the pump's hi-pressure outlet port to low pressure return port?
You should be able to get by with that, I'd be checking the hose for temp. just to be sure it doesn't get too hot (since the pump's not doing any "work", it shouldn't)...