Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2010, 08:37 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

any new info on an ls swap for my 83 caddy? Thanks
Old 01-07-2010, 10:00 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dude, we have given you all the necessary essentials for your swap. Now if you want step by step instructions along with part numbers then I'll set you up with all of that for a nominal donation to the Jerry's Kids foundation.
Old 01-08-2010, 08:03 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by deuce4935
Dude, we have given you all the necessary essentials for your swap. Now if you want step by step instructions along with part numbers then I'll set you up with all of that for a nominal donation to the Jerry's Kids foundation.
DAM... LOL

Yo! 83 caddy post some pics of that whip.
Old 01-08-2010, 09:12 AM
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Caddy83
any new info on an ls swap for my 83 caddy? Thanks
Originally Posted by deuce4935
Or bring me the car, a pile of ca$h I'll source the parts and make it happen. Then you can pick it up when I'm finished.
Old 01-09-2010, 05:27 PM
Teching In

Thanks to all you guys for being so patient with my future swap. I will continue with my research here in the forum. I contacted street and performance about my swap. They are going to send me there catalog and a few DVD's to watch. I checked out there website and was overwhelmed. These guys have everything I need for a swap.
Old 01-09-2010, 08:33 PM
On The Tree

O.K. here's an idea. You want to move a heavy car. It has a 2.56 rear. That was made by Cadillac to keep engine speed down for both mileage and noise/vibration/harshness ( NVH ). Want to go fast and keep the car quiet ? Find an engine/trans from a GM truck with a 6L80E-that's the six speed automatic brought out about 3 years ago. Why that one ? Not the amount of gears, but the ratios, namely 4.06 first gear. From a stop, multiply the rear axle ratio by the first gear ratio. Your existing combo is 2.74 trans X 2.56 rear = 7.01. 2.56 X 4.06 = 10.39. That's a pretty good upgrade right there, and you haven't added any power yet. An LSX motor with two or three times the torque will just plain rock that car !
Old 01-10-2010, 12:29 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kj598bbc
Im not trying to be a **** but i suggest reading and searching. It does'nt even have to be a d or b-body thread, but theres tons of useful information that you NEED to be aware of.2x for what gofast said about reading Mean Yellow Z' budget swap thread.
Said it then; thanks deuce for sayin it now....
Old 02-17-2010, 02:36 AM
Teching In

Any new info. on the Caddy ls swap? Thanks
Old 02-17-2010, 04:02 AM
TECH Addict

Any new info. on the Caddy ls swap? Thanks
Ok, I don't usually do this but...

[rant]
I built my car in less time than this topic has been active. I didn't use any off the shelf / kit parts and had to make everything because no one makes parts for my swap. Mine was easy compared to some of the silliness on here (Keith with his MGB comes to mind among others). Your car is a GM car with a corporate GM engine that had an optional Gen I - almost a f@#$%^& drop in.

What do you want a parts list with a price sheet and vendor sources? Do we need to give you step by step, bolt by bolt instructions as well? Many of us have built cars in the time you've spent asking for help. One guy is in a bloody tent working in the snow but darn it, he is plugging along! Guess what? He isn't asking "can it be done," he has pulled the original engine gathered parts and is working on getting the new heart transplanted in the patient! The only time he posts on here is when he has pictures to update or he has a question he can't find the answer to. I give him crazy props for that! Did I mention the guy is under 20?

This task will require good planning, a fair amount of automotive knowledge and fabrication skills. If you aren't adept at turning wrenches and fabrication I would leave the job to someone who is. You have 10 posts and 8 of them ask the same question in your own topic. WTF? Asking what you are asking the way you are asking tells me you are probably 16, want to beat your friends Honda with the fart can and can't even change your own oil. The information is out there, trust me. It might not be your exact make, model or engine combo but it has been done on a car close enough to yours for you to get the idea - if you have the skills.

Can it be done? Yes.
Has it been done? Yes. I've seen cars with the same frame MANY times with this combo, some are members of this board.
Is there a build topic for it? Possibly, but I don't give a turkey because I would have gathered parts, built, finished and been driving my creation by now.
Will it be cool? Definitely - IF you do it.

If you want to be a poser, go buy some stickers and pretend to be sponsored. Otherwise turn off the computer, go out to the garage, spin some wrenches and take pics of your progress.
[/rant]
Old 02-17-2010, 04:04 PM
On The Tree

I know I'm off with this bit.But have a 77 coupe deville that whenI was trying a swap(25 years ago) I got NO HELP.Mostly people laughing at me saing whay are you building that?Why don't you build a chevelle or camaro or nova.This forum rocks and the people hear are great.I still have the car and it ha a 454 with a 671 blower.anything is possible and this is he place to get the help
Old 01-10-2019, 06:53 AM

Default Ls

Has anyone swapped an LS engine into a 1983 Cadillac 2 door Fleetwood brougham D-body? What LS engine will move this 5000 pound Caddy? I was going to install a 1996 Impala SS LT1 drivetrain but after further research and becoming a member here in this forum, I'm 100% convinced that an LS drivetrain is the way to go. I live in Long beach, CA. Any info. on a shop that does these type of conversions will be very helpful. Thanks
I thought a 83 Cadillac had a b body frame. Also I seen a few people on YouTube that have already put one in I am looking into it myself cuz I have the same year Cadillac and want to do it myself
Old 01-10-2019, 08:09 AM
TECH Addict

Received 106 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by George Nettles Jr.
Also I seen a few people on YouTube that have already put one in ...
I'm going to guess those videos weren't around when Caddy83 started this thread 8 years ago.

Originally Posted by George Nettles Jr.
I am looking into it myself cuz I have the same year Cadillac and want to do it myself
Hopefully you'll be more productive than Caddy83, who posted the same question for 2 months and then disappeared.

Last edited by AAIIIC; 04-03-2023 at 02:56 PM.
Old 01-10-2019, 09:50 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by AAIIIC
Hopefully you'll be more productive than Caddy83, who posted the same question for 2 months and then disappeared.
Here we go again...
Plus let's resurrect an almost nine year old thread that wasn't going anywhere.

Hey George, want to know the most difficult part of doing a swap or anything you want to achieve? Getting started!

This swap is a simple swap. Is it the easiest swap out there, no but it is a very easy swap.

Want to know how easy? This same or very similar frame was produced from 1977 to somewhere in the 1990's in several full sized GM vehicles. If you don't have decent fabrication skills you will be on struggle street the entire way. This will be true with ANY swap. If you're the guy with the Microwave that doesn't have the right time or can't change oil without looking like the Exxon Valdez crashed in your driveway don't attempt this or anything like it at all.

If this is your only running vehicle, stop and buy a reliable vehicle before you break your only means of making money. If you don't work on stuff all the time and / or have never done this type of thing before it will take you longer than you expect.

If you have moderate fabrication skills, tools and aren't afraid of getting dirty you will need about six weeks of evenings after work or less depending on how fast you work and your skills to have a running and driving vehicle. In that time you aren't going to have a show vehicle but it will be a reliable runner and you haven't killed yourself getting it done. This is the kind of swap that is literally only as difficult as you want to make it BUT you need the base skills to pull it off.

I'm not trying to be the bearer of bad news, I'm just giving you the real picture of the situation.
Old 01-11-2019, 08:35 AM
TECH Addict

Received 106 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by gofastwclass
If you're the guy with the Microwave that doesn't have the right time or can't change oil without looking like the Exxon Valdez crashed in your driveway don't attempt this or anything like it at all.
Old 01-11-2019, 08:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 123 Likes on 87 Posts

Here's a step by step for everyone on how to swap any LS engine into any vehicle.

1. Buy LS engine
2. Buy compatible trans
3. bolt them together
4. attempt to insert into rolling 1983 Cadillac chassis
5. cut out anything that hits said powertrain until powertrain is in position
6. build motor and trans mounts
7. Wire, plumb, burnouts.
Old 01-11-2019, 10:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

BUILD THE BROHAM!!
Old 01-22-2019, 02:55 AM

Default Ls

Has anyone swapped an LS engine into a 1983 Cadillac 2 door Fleetwood brougham D-body? What LS engine will move this 5000 pound Caddy? I was going to install a 1996 Impala SS LT1 drivetrain but after further research and becoming a member here in this forum, I'm 100% convinced that an LS drivetrain is the way to go. I live in Long beach, CA. Any info. on a shop that

does these type of conversions will be very helpful. Thanks
a 83 Cadillac Fleetwood has a c body
Old 08-06-2020, 11:22 AM

I have a 83 Fleetwood Brougham d'Elegance sedan, with the 4.1. Ive been thinking on going big block, but I have access to a 5.3 or a 6.0. for free. after reading about the ease of the swap Im thinking more on it. I have a question...... the 200r4 will bolt to the 6.0, how much of a pain in the *** is the wiring for it? I have the whole trucks the engines are coming out of.
really not liking the 50hp my 4.1 has. theres no way it has 140! LOL

Old 03-25-2023, 01:32 PM
Teching In

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Any update. I want to do a 6.0 swap on my 84 lac as well
Old 03-31-2023, 03:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 123 Likes on 87 Posts

LMAO this thread delivers.
The following users liked this post:
Caddydaddy84 (04-04-2023)

Quick Reply: LSX swap into a 83 Caddy Fleetwood brougham