Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

3rd Gen LS Conversion K-member Question..

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2010 | 08:57 AM
11 Second Club
15 Year Member

Default 3rd Gen LS Conversion K-member Question..

Quick question..

I'm thinking about dropping my 408/T56 into a 3rd Gen.. are these LSX Conversion K-members that are sold by some of the sponsors here designed to keep the Engine/Tranny in stock location to where you can use the stock Drive Shaft without issue?

I ask cause I'm looking into how the Tranny would mount up..

Thanks.

Also..how are them K-members looking for you guys that have bought them? A friend of mine got one and it was some pretty shitty quality.

What are you guys doing for LT Headers? ..Will the LS F-body Headers I have now work if I used that type of Tubular K-member?
Old 01-18-2010 | 09:15 AM
Launching!
15 Year Member

I'd go the tubular k-member route if I were to do my swap over again. Just makes everything easier. Spohn makes a nice piece

Yes, you can keep your the stock ds, non issue there

There aren't many options for long tubes in a thirdgen.... and none of them are cheap.

I'm pretty sure the ls style long tubes you have now will hit the rear lower control arm mount...... even with the new k-member.

Good luck, and be safe in Iraq

-jason
Old 01-18-2010 | 10:14 AM
11 Second Club
15 Year Member

Thanks for the help..I might just keep it in the 4th Gen..
Old 01-19-2010 | 12:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I think Hawks is the only ones with headers SS @$1k 1 7/8. I had a cheapy K member with a 4th gen rack mount as well and it fit ok but the welds looked kinda crappy. If I remember correctly it does put the motor in the stock location. I used a TH400 in mune so it was different.
Old 01-19-2010 | 02:49 PM
TECH Addict
15 Year Member

Tons of options for motor mounts, both SBC conversion style and LS1 fbody stands

Stock K-member will fit non AC swaps. Some like to notch around 1/2" off the backside for more pan clearance, but others fit with no mods. AC swaps need a large notch in the front of the K-member. Be aware some tubular K-members DO NOT fit the stock LSx AC. Brackets are also available to move the stock 3rd gen or aftermarket AC compressor to the stock 3rd gen location on the LSx engine clearing the K-member completely

Match your crossmember to your trans type, stocker can be modified though. Stock style TA mountless, stock crossmember mount and aftermarket TA mount crossmembers are available. Most on TGO who use LT's build their own crossmember with two humps in it to make room for the exhaust. Can you post pics of the mount your friend got? Most common brands are excessively beefy/bulky. I have UMI LSx 4L60E and SBC Th350 crossmembers for my 3rd gens and I could jack up a dumptruck with them

http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/DSC01525.jpg

DS will remain stock unless you swap to a new type of rear or relocate the engine. Any DS 84-02 will fit

I would highly recommend matching the front motor mounts/K-member and crossmember brands. Mixing brands mixes jigs and parts dont fit perfectly anymore

The hawks/SSW LTs are the main ones on the market. Several swappers have gotten excellent results from modifying 3rd gen SBC LTs with LS1 flanges. Hooker 2210's are the most common as they are 1.75" primaries. Most other brands are 1.625" or smaller

Im currently attempting to modify MAC mids for the job, but its not looking good

Quick Reply: 3rd Gen LS Conversion K-member Question..