Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Adding charcoal canister

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2010, 06:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Adding charcoal canister

I'm adding a charcoal canister to my conversion. I'm tired of the fumes and smell of gasoline in my garage when I come back from a cruise. I just want to double check that this setup is correct before I get started.

Fuel Tank Vent-->Canister-->Canister Purge Valve-->Throttle Body (OR MANIFOLD?)

Are those all the components I need besides the wiring of the purge valve? It is my understanding that I do not need any other tank vent or a vented gas cap for expansion or contraction of the tank if I have the canister. Is that also correct?

Little more info:
I already have a 5/8" hose venting my fuel tank to the upper part of my filler neck for fueling the car. So, I plan on putting a T into the 5/8 line and run 1/4 or 5/16" fuel line up to the canister near the engine. When I'm not fueling the car, the vent on the filler neck is not open to the atmosphere.

Thanks

Last edited by 55chevy; 01-26-2010 at 10:28 AM.
Old 01-25-2010, 09:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Question, Do you still have the EVAP function in your your PCM program ?.. If your using the EVAP solenoid/valve, the PCM will need input from the fuel tank (at lease from the pressure sensor and maybe the fuel level ?).

For mine setup. I just used the cansister with vacuum without the EVAP valve.
Old 01-26-2010, 10:41 AM
TECH Apprentice

More questions..

Where does the purge line enter the engine? I was thinking it was into the side of the throttle body on the drivers side but now I'm wondering if there is a manifold port.

Also, how will air get into the tank when the fuel is used up? Is there a canister with a third port that allows fresh air in without letting the fuel vapors out?

Thanks
Old 01-26-2010, 01:43 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by 55chevy
More questions..

Where does the purge line enter the engine? I was thinking it was into the side of the throttle body on the drivers side but now I'm wondering if there is a manifold port.
port on the manifold behind the throttle body, drivers side

Originally Posted by 55chevy
Also, how will air get into the tank when the fuel is used up? Is there a canister with a third port that allows fresh air in without letting the fuel vapors out?

Thanks
canisters do have a vent for fresh air inlet to "clean" the charcoal inside, it also serves as a vacuum release...if you put full vacuum on a sealed tank vent system you could "oil can" the tank or at least collapse the hoses
Old 01-26-2010, 03:28 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by bczee
Question, Do you still have the EVAP function in your your PCM program ?.. If your using the EVAP solenoid/valve, the PCM will need input from the fuel tank (at lease from the pressure sensor and maybe the fuel level ?).

For mine setup. I just used the cansister with vacuum without the EVAP valve.
EVAP here seems to work fine without either fuel level or tank pressure. Just hooked up with the regular EVAP solenoid and a canister.

And yes getting the EVAP setup on with a canister is terrific for getting the gas fumes in the garage under control.
Old 01-26-2010, 05:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks everyone.

I'll get it installed as soon as I get my hands on a canister.
Old 01-27-2010, 02:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

FYI..

When i tested the vacuum source at both the back of the intake and the port on the TB.. The Vacuum was much stronger at the back port.. The TB port acted much more like a carb ported vacuum source. I used that port.

Quick Reply: Adding charcoal canister