Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can motor mounts be a work of art?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2010, 11:11 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I didn't weld them.
I had a guy at work who welds for a living do them for me.
I'm in an aerospace repair business, so he's got to be a qualified welder.
He did say he had some issues with the casting of the original mount.

The alternative would have been a steel mount, which looking back would have been easier, but in my opinion, not quite the same as an aluminum weldment.

It was my first success of this project, and wanted to share....
Old 03-15-2010, 08:07 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

One thing I have learned from hanging around on internet forums is never post pictures of welds. Pretty much guaranteed to draw criticism unless they are text book.

Pretty welds aren’t always effective welds.
Old 03-15-2010, 05:04 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Pop N Wood
One thing I have learned from hanging around on internet forums is never post pictures of welds. Pretty much guaranteed to draw criticism unless they are text book.

Pretty welds aren’t always effective welds.
I appreciate that.
The non-casting welds look pretty damn good to me. VG penetration, which is what makes them functional.

I was really just happy that my concept of cutting up the stock mounts, adding a 1" plate to get the mounting holes where they needed to be, and cutting up, by hand, some gussets, then pinning them with finishing nails, having them welded made something that looked like it would work.

The mounts are the same height, the mount holes are all in alignment, and they're looking like they're strong enough - made me happy.

What made me happier was after putting them on the motor, I swung the thing in the car as a engine and trans, and it sort of fit. Three more in and outs and the trans tunnel has lost, I won, and the engine and trans is now sitting in the car - instead of on the floor.

At the end of this inning, Mike -1 , Volvo - 2

(I gave the car two runs for putting the f@*^%'n steering column where my header wants to be- but I'll win that one too, although I probably screwed my clock spring by forgetting about it when I pulled the steering u-joints, ****, give the Volve another run)

At least I have one run...........
Old 03-15-2010, 05:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 590 Likes on 468 Posts

Default SS welding

Originally Posted by Kory 88Iroc Lt1
I would agree that proper cleaning will greatly help in welding aluminum. Those my not be as durty to start as say, an oil pan. I don't have much experience at aluminum welding, as we don't do it at work, now stainless I can do that alright, after 10,000 hours I'd hope I could do it well.
back to topic,
Kory
LOL. I hope so. LOL Any pics on the eng mounted showing the mounts? Keep up the good work.
Jim
Old 03-15-2010, 05:16 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

good job on the welding, it looks really good, keep us posted on the project
Old 03-15-2010, 05:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 590 Likes on 468 Posts

poop-n-wood,
Thats not so. Someone can make a comment on someones weld, say " slow down the travel speed and it will help" doesn't mean they are criticizing their welding. Just merely offering useful hints. If someone never get honest or useful comments, they can think they are doing it correctly.

We go through this at work ALOT. Offering advice or hints ( asked for or not) doen't mean someone is "attacking" someone. People get so touchy about things. LOL. OK. I think this " horse" is dead. I'll move on. LOL.

Keep the pics coming. This is a interesting thread.
Jim

Quick Reply: Can motor mounts be a work of art?