Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

transfer case options with 4L60E...

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2004, 07:33 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default transfer case options with 4L60E...

I am doing my conversion on my Isuzu Vehicross. I would like to retain my Borg Warner Torque On Demand (TOD) transfer case. The stock transmission is a 4L30E. I have already found out that the stock adaptor plate won't mount to the 4L60E so I need to find a way to adapt THAT adaptor plate to my new tranny. Any suggestions? I have been suggested to have a machine shop make me an intermediate plate to adapt the stock adaptor plate to the 4L60E transmission. If that fails, any suggestions on a transfer case with a right hand front output (passenger side) that I could mount in my trusty VX? Any kind of input I can get would be great. I will be picking my motor and transmission up next Sunday (18th). Thanks in advance.

TTYL!
Old 01-13-2004, 02:21 PM
Teching In

Don't know what to tell you with that, you have the right idea with the machine shop. Try Novak or Advance Adapters, or one of the other conversion companies.
Dustin
Old 01-13-2004, 10:37 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks for the reply... Novak is ONE that I haven't tried yet. Actually... Advanced Adaptor (Rob to be exact) is who said they don't have an adaptor plate for this conversion. Rob suggested the intermediate plate if the splines are the same from the 4L60E and TOD... I'm not sure yet, but know they are both 27 spline... not sure if there are different sizes of shaft with the same spline count. Anyway... thanks for the reply... gonna go find Novak now...

TTFN!
Old 01-14-2004, 07:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

You really shouldn't keep the Tcase you got to be honest. Listen, bolt you up a NV4500 or 4L80E. 4l60s are not good for big trucks, they wear out. transfer case i'd try and get a prime NP205 or NP241. the 241 will bolt up no problem if you go 4l60. get one from a 87-up K5 or K1500
Old 01-15-2004, 07:39 PM
TECH Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Keep the 4l60E, You wont have room for the 4l80. The new Colorado/Canyon
pickups have a right hand transfer case. Sounds like a neat project
Old 01-16-2004, 07:32 AM
Staging Lane

I can understand that there are probably transfer cases that will work better in this situation... but I am TRYING to reuse my T-Case because I like the functionality of the TOD. I'm sure that other T-Cases are probably more likely to handle the power of the LS1/4L60E transmission. I haven't ruled out the possibility of a different T-Case... just trying to keep certain things together. I do however appreciate the ideas of other T-Cases to use... as I know there is a possiblity that it won't work.

Thanks for the suggestion of what truck has a right hand T-Case that works with the 4L60E... I will start a search for such transfer case online to see what a used one will set me back. I hope I can find a decent deal as I don't have a ton of cashola hanging around to throw away... yeah yeah yeah, I know... not a good position to be in when doing such a conversion... but hey... its all good.

Thanks again!
Old 01-16-2004, 01:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

you might as well throw in a d44 up front. oil pan clearance could be difficult but put on 6" springs and you'll be fine. you know the ls1 will tear the stock drivetrain up. i don't know the exact purpose behind putting an LS1 up there (not that it's a bad idea, jsut don't know what your specific use will be) but you could keep the left hand case with an old GM 10 bolt or dana 44. but if you want to keep the stock tcase it shouldn't tear it up unless you wheel it hard. and if you wheel it had then you'll blow your axles too and you'll need lift for anything serious. so if it's a wheelin truck then i say SAS with a D44 or D60.

I don't know anything about the TOD case other than it's not a heavy duty case. what's so special about it?
Old 01-21-2004, 12:19 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Bowtiered
I don't know anything about the TOD case other than it's not a heavy duty case. what's so special about it?
No, the TOD isn't a heavy duty case... my interest in this case is the variable 4WD... Other than that, I guess theres nothing soooo special about it. The more I think about it, it might be kinda nice to have a 2H, 4H, 4L T-case... is the T-case in the Canyon and Colorado such? Anyone know the model number for that T-case (Colorado/Canyon)? Know where I can find one? I can imagine that if they are unique to those trucks that they could be hard to come by being so new. If not, where else can I find one? What kind of electronics do they require to run? IF anyone has specific info on this one... PLEASE lemme know. I need to get up to speed in case my T-Case won't work...

BTW, I FINALLY got my LS1 and 4L60E home tonight... only took me 14 hours, 890 miles and $3250 complete! Time to get to work! TTYL!
Old 01-21-2004, 06:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

sounds good. just out of curiosity, what is your purpose in building this vehicle? sounds REAL cool!
Old 01-21-2004, 07:14 PM
Staging Lane

sounds good. just out of curiosity, what is your purpose in building this vehicle? sounds REAL cool!
The reason for doing this project... well... MANY reasons! Where should I start... my wants or my needs? OK... here ya go...
  • Need: My motor blew up! Need Motor!
  • Need/Want: motor that will last MORE than 73K miles (all my stocker went)
  • Want: LS1 power... I've had THREE WS6 Drop Tops... all LS1 powered of course!
  • Want: MORE POWER!

The vehicle WILL be used off road... it gets around KICK @$$ but I just wasn't happy with the TORQUELESS motor it had... since the motor quit... I see NO reason to not make an already DIFFERENT vehicle just a little more desireable. I like to go off-roadin'... climbing, crawling (rocks), and even a little muddin'... Its gonna be a fun one... and to top things off... I think I'm the first to ever attempt a V8 into a VX... Soooo... I'll have V8VX!

TTYL!
Old 01-21-2004, 07:44 PM
TECH Addict

The transfer case in the 4x4 Canyon/Colorado is under the name Isuzu T150. It is a
2speed part time with electric shift. (2 high, nuetral, 4 high, and 4 lo). You are probably going to have a hard time finding one of these units. I will keep my eyes open. The t case is controlled by a module and a switch and is shifted by an electronic encoder motor. If you need any more info let me know!
Old 01-22-2004, 04:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by coachreed
The reason for doing this project... well... MANY reasons! Where should I start... my wants or my needs? OK... here ya go...
  • Need: My motor blew up! Need Motor!
  • Need/Want: motor that will last MORE than 73K miles (all my stocker went)
  • Want: LS1 power... I've had THREE WS6 Drop Tops... all LS1 powered of course!
  • Want: MORE POWER!

The vehicle WILL be used off road... it gets around KICK @$$ but I just wasn't happy with the TORQUELESS motor it had... since the motor quit... I see NO reason to not make an already DIFFERENT vehicle just a little more desireable. I like to go off-roadin'... climbing, crawling (rocks), and even a little muddin'... Its gonna be a fun one... and to top things off... I think I'm the first to ever attempt a V8 into a VX... Soooo... I'll have V8VX!

TTYL!
better put some solid axles under there for ANY crawlin. . . but LS1 first! can't wait to see the results.
Old 01-27-2004, 08:09 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by LS1NOVA
The transfer case in the 4x4 Canyon/Colorado is under the name Isuzu T150. It is a
2speed part time with electric shift. (2 high, nuetral, 4 high, and 4 lo). You are probably going to have a hard time finding one of these units. I will keep my eyes open. The t case is controlled by a module and a switch and is shifted by an electronic encoder motor. If you need any more info let me know!
I read your post last night, and after MUCH searching, I only found Isuzu T150 refering to "manual trans" in a couple places... is it saying its a manual transfer case or are they referring to it being a manual transmission? Is the transmission in the canyon/colorado INDEED a 4L60E? If so this is some fairly exciting news. We had a colorado come through our shop the other night and I couldn't contain myself... HAD to go slide under it even though the customer was right there... I think he thought I was nuts! LMAO Anyway, the T-case looked a LOT like my TOD unit... had the same orientation (not horizontal... but angled down clearing the tranny oil pan) as my TOD unit... and actually, it looked a LOT like mine. That mixed with what your saying, sounding like its an Isuzu unit.

BTW are you familiar with the fact that four wheel drive transmissions having a different lenghth output shaft than 2 wheel drive counterparts? I found an auction on eBay for an output shaft to convert a two wheel drive transmission to a four wheel drive transmission. Is the 4x4 output shaft shorter? That would be my guess considering the difference in length between my OLD 4L30E trans output compared to the NEW 4L60E trans output. If so, does it sound like the output shaft from the above mentioned auction would fit for my conversion?

better put some solid axles under there for ANY crawlin. . . but LS1 first! can't wait to see the results.
Yeah, no doubt that the SAS would be the right thing to do... but YES, LS1 first. I know that my IFS will handle some rock crawling already... cuz I've done some moderate crawling. If thats the case, it will handle the same sized stuff with the LS1... just have to remember my weak link and NOT push it too hard. One of my reasons of hesitation on swapping to SAS is the handling characteristics... I am kinda building a MULTIpurpose vehicle here. RIght now, the VX even with its three inches of lift and 285/60/18" tires handles AWSOME! There is a guy on the VX boards who is looking at converting his weak IFS for the IFS from a 1/2 ton chevrolet... a nice compromise between the Isuzu IFS and a full out SAS. Anyway... gotta get back to work on the VX... got the next two days off... hope to make some headway.

Thanks for the replies and suggestions guys. If you can afford ANY more information, lemme know.

TTYL!
Old 01-29-2004, 06:42 PM
On The Tree

you could try a transfer case out of a gmc denali or cadillac escalade...............they are all wheel drive vehicles
Old 01-29-2004, 07:53 PM
TECH Addict

I am confident that the transfer case is indeed under the name t150 and is sourced from Isuzu. Apparently it was from the Isuzu D-max pickup which is not sold in the US. The Colorado manual trans is the Aisin AR5 5 speed and the auto is the 4L60(or 4l65E). The output shaft on your trans will have to be one from a vehicle that had a transfer case on it. Its shorter and has no tailshaft, just an adapter. It looks as if that shaft would be the one you need.
Good luck.
Old 02-03-2004, 08:44 PM
TECH Resident

Take the transfer case, and CV axles, out of a 1996 GMC Jimmy 4WD. They came factory equipped with a 4L60E and pushbutton control that attaches to the transmission control. We mounted one in a 1998 Z28, and it works great! Have you ever seen a 4WD Camaro in the snow? Classic!

Quick Reply: transfer case options with 4L60E...