Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

need some help

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2010, 06:19 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need some help

I have a complete 6.0 from a 2003 Denali, complete with harness and computer. I am putting this in a 40 chevy pickup. I ordered a 4L65 trans from Jasper for this conversion and it came in as a 4 wheel drive trans. I was told all 2003 Denalis were 4 wheel drive.. what trans will work with this engine/computer and harness?
Old 07-10-2010, 07:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 50adrod
I have a complete 6.0 from a 2003 Denali, complete with harness and computer. I am putting this in a 40 chevy pickup. I ordered a 4L65 trans from Jasper for this conversion and it came in as a 4 wheel drive trans. I was told all 2003 Denalis were 4 wheel drive.. what trans will work with this engine/computer and harness?
It will not work as is. I had a guy convert my 4wd to a 2wd. It mainly consisted of switching the tail housing I think. You then just delete the 4wd off the harness. Here is a link of when I asked the same.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...onversion.html
Old 07-10-2010, 08:03 PM
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Any of the 4L60E / 4E65E / 4L70E transmissions will work. You will need one that is 2WD unless you want 4X4 which I assume you don't since you posted this. You are looking for a 1996 or newer transmission with PWM cast in the front pump cover (behind the TC).

What you are looking for:

Your best choice would be a transmission from a Gen III / IV series engine so you don't need an adapter, all the bell housing bolts align properly and you don't have to modify the flexplate. Options to look for are 2WD 1/2 and 3/4 ton Chevy trucks with VIN T (5.3) engines from 1999 to whenever, full size vans, F-Body's, etc.

A 4WD trans conversion to 2WD is not as simple as changing tail housings... it requires replacing the output shaft which requires complete disassembly to complete.
Old 07-10-2010, 08:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A 4WD trans conversion to 2WD is not as simple as changing tail housings... it requires replacing the output shaft which requires complete disassembly to complete. [/quote]

Ya, that is why I had a trannsmision guy do mine. I have yet to fire my car up, so hopefully it will work.
Old 07-10-2010, 10:21 PM
On The Tree

so a 2 wheel drive 4L65 will work with this harness and computer if I get the 4WD proramed out? what did the 4L65 come in??
Old 07-11-2010, 01:54 AM
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

The transmissions I listed are the same transmission electronically, the difference is in the strength of the internals in factory trim. A 4L60E is a "standard duty" RWD transmission while it's slightly stronger (and rarer) brothers (65E and 70E) are direct swaps for it. The big boy 4L80E is larger, longer and wired differently than the three I mentioned previously and thus a completely different beast - but strong as an ox. The 4L80E comes in 1 ton trucks, the others can be in anything from a RWD car, a Blazer or a 3/4 ton truck depending on application, year and engine combination.

The 4L60E (like the 5.3 engine) is by far the most common and for factory cruiser swaps or bolt-on cars will be more than plenty if you keep it full of fluid and cool. It along with the 65 and 70 (all three share the same case) are also the easiest to fit in tight spaces. If you seek to fry tires and race a LOT adding the proper upgrades will allow a 4L60E to handle nearly anything you are able to throw at it. If you want one built to handle brute torque and power step over to the transmission section and look for Vince @ FLT (Finish Line Transmissions) and he will give you the lowdown on all the right stuff. There is at least one other vendor sponsor who seems cool and knowledgeable but I have never talked to them personally.

I almost forgot... you don't program the 4WD out, it isn't in the VCM in the first place. All the wires and connections that have to do with 4WD go to the body or the transfer case.
Old 07-11-2010, 07:16 AM
On The Tree

thanks for the help

Quick Reply: need some help