Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need advice on an lq4 swap...

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2010, 09:48 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need advice on an lq4 swap...

I have a 1980 Firebird that I want to put a modern fuel injection engine in. Below I have a link to an LQ4 and a LS computer that I would hopefully be using to do it. I'll also want to be doing a t56 if I can find it in my price range.

I want to buy this engine: http://tucson.craigslist.org/pts/1892988656.html

and this computer for it (by the way, the guy wants $200 for this, is that a decent deal): http://tucson.craigslist.org/pts/1924455817.html

What will I have to do about the fuel system? Could a newer F-body's tank be swapped in or would I need a custom one/modify mine?

What mounts seem to work the best when swapping these in to F-bodys? I'd like to avoid frame notching if possible.

What will I need to do with my accessory drive to make everything fit? I do plan on running ac with the stock a/c box if that is possible. It doesn't look like that LQ4 has an accessory drive, so advice on what I should pick up for that would be great.

I think I would modify the stock harness to fit, however I heard that truck harnesses have a lot of extra crap that I won't necessarily need.

From what I've seen on these forums, the truck intake will not fit under the hood of these cars. That doesnt really bother me, because the car intakes look way cooler. Do I just pick up an ls2 throttle body and intake?

What will I need to get the t56 working? Slave cylinder (I really don't have a clue.. haha)?

Feel free to include anything I haven't mentioned but you think will be important (radiator, fans, oil pan, etc..).

I've already swapped a Chevy 350 in this car (which was my first swap), but I think I want to take it to the next level. If I could get this in and running before I get my license in November that would be awesome!

Thank you all in advance,
Nick

Last edited by nkatsinas; 09-20-2010 at 09:55 AM.
Old 09-21-2010, 12:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First, go join TransAmCountry.com and NastyZ.com. Good forums for your chassis. Both have members that have done this basic swap.
The computer may not be that great of a deal. I knew I'd have to get a custom tune anyway, so I started with the computer from an '01 5.3L, which I got for $90, from lkqcorp.com.
Newer tanks won't fit, forget that idea.
Most of your other answers will be found on those forums.
http://www.jegs.com/i/Trans+Dapt/969/4592/10002/-1 will solve your mounting issue. If you use the '98-'02 Z28 pan, you won't need to butcher your subframe.
Old 09-22-2010, 09:56 AM
Teching In

Does it matter what year of vehicle I get the computer from?
Old 09-22-2010, 01:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I think you need the later model LQ4, so it will bolt right up to the T56 with standard LS1 parts (mainly the flywheel). Those old iron-headed LQ4's use a different crank flange that was designed to be mated to a 4L80 trans.

Any 5.3/6.0 computer from 99-04 SHOULD work with dbc throttle bodies.

Some of the 04-05 PCM's you could do either DBW OR DBC.

These details may not be 100% correct, I'd recommend you do some further research before buying that one!

Oh, and the price on the computer you have is pretty high too. Should be able to find one for around $100. lkqonline.com is a good source for them after you've figured out what you want to use.
Old 09-22-2010, 07:28 PM
Teching In

Oh wow ahahh thanks for the tip. Just checked it out and the 2001 and up lq4's will mate up, and the 99 and 00 ones will not.
Old 09-22-2010, 08:38 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Be specific when purchasing the PCM as there is a difference with the dbc and dbw pcms and the only way to tell is buy opening the PCM up
Old 09-23-2010, 07:30 AM
TECH Enthusiast

This thread gives good info on that subject:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...v-hwd-nos.html