Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Plan: LS Engine in my '47 Dodge

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2010, 05:41 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Plan: LS Engine in my '47 Dodge

Hey all! After being told to 'buzz off' from the purity bunch at the "H.A.M.B." Im coming here for answers! It seems you folk embrace 'cross-breeding' .

Anyway, My grandfather owned a 1947 Dodge Coupe in very nice condition. I always told him if he ever wanted to sell it to let me know. So one day he called me up and said "come get it, its yours now" . So this is my new long term project. I intend to keep the car forever, and probably pass it on to the next generation if there ever is one (Im young still...24). A buddy and I co-run a custom shop in our spare time.

The car has only 19k original miles, but I plan on yanking out the drastically slow straight 6 (ill keep it for sentimental reasons i suppose?). Im planning on putting in an LQ4 that I am building up. Plans are for roughly 5-600 hp, a cavalier rack and pinion (they fit well with this body style), full disc brakes, and probably an 8.8 or 9" rear. Going to be a (eventually) full frame up rebuild. Id like to keep it somewhat traditional looking (build it like grandpa wanted to) while at the same time going with a few rod touches for cleanliness. Also, the addition of the LS motor for performance and reliability. Im most excited about the ability to get in the car whenever i want, turn the key and drive away - not having to worry about a 60 year old single barrel carb design and choke.

So, hopefully with the cavalier rack I will gain enough room from the steering column to center the engine (or close to center). I am wondering what my best bet is for motor mounts? This will obviously be a custom thing (i dont think ive read about another dodge d24 with an LS motor...although im sure they must exist). I was thinking of going with something like this from summit http://www.summitracing.com/parts/TRD-4840/?rtype=10 and then using adapter plates. For the $75 dollars the crossmember costs, its not worth me fabbing my own. Or does anyone make one geared specifically for the 3rd gen motors without the use of adapter plates? Or maybe just swap mounts geared toward the LS motors?

Anyone see any issue with using that crossmember + adapter plates?

Quick Reply: Plan: LS Engine in my '47 Dodge