Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Speedo, and Tach????

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2010, 08:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Speedo, and Tach????

Ok, Im installing a LQ4 with stock PCM, and Modified harness. I have the Dakota Dig adapter for speedo cable for the TH350 trans. What kind of Speedo do i get to run in the car, and what kind of TACH? Plan on after market gauges, but dont know if im to get digital, or manual, I want digital, but dont know what kind to get, and how to install! Help!!
Old 11-09-2010, 10:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Give autometer a call ive got ultralite 2's and they look sweet at night
Old 11-10-2010, 07:54 AM
On The Tree

This is the speedo I'm planning on using it runs off of GPS. I was debating the same thing as you about the mechanical on electrical speedo and found this and looks pretty nice and you can make them look however you want: http://www.speedhut.com/custom_gauge...number-828.htm

They also make a 4" version. As far as a tach goes I just have a Autometer Pro-Comp Series nothing special.
Old 11-10-2010, 05:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by daschra79
This is the speedo I'm planning on using it runs off of GPS. I was debating the same thing as you about the mechanical on electrical speedo and found this and looks pretty nice and you can make them look however you want: http://www.speedhut.com/custom_gauge...number-828.htm

They also make a 4" version. As far as a tach goes I just have a Autometer Pro-Comp Series nothing special.
That speedo is bad ***. I might get that, page is bookmarked.
Old 11-10-2010, 06:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ok, Cant afford the GPS one, but I just need to know what type gauge reads the speed sensor, and what type read the RPM, and how does it hook up, what wires go where?
Old 11-10-2010, 06:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I used a regular Autometer tach in mine, but had to splice in a 12+ key source with an inline resistor into the tach wire to boost the tach signal from the 03 truck PCM.

Tach output in HPtuners for an autometer tach in 8cyl mode needs to be 3/3

For speedo, I'm not sure what I'm going to do yet. I wanted to convert my factory gauge, but you need a stepper motor and controller to do it. Maybe next year

Thinking about sourcing a used instrument cluster and modifying it to work with my stock gauges.
Old 11-10-2010, 08:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

If you have an android phone speedometer and speedhud are free gps speedometers. Perhaps not ideal long term, but potentially fine for short term. I used them after I had my rear end gears changed.
Old 11-11-2010, 07:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

I was hoping someone can say hook a certain wire from PCM to speedo, and another wire from PCM to tach??
Old 11-12-2010, 01:49 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

I assume you have a mechanical speedo output on the trans. You need the VSS for the computer. Dakota Digital makes a pass thru VSS that allows you to use a mechanical speedo. Easiest, cheapest solution.
If you want electric speedo, you have a problem. The DD VSS sends the wrong pulse per mile than the original VSS.
Any electronic tach will work from the ecu output wire. Set it for 4 cylinder if you dont change the program.
Old 11-14-2010, 03:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by garys 68
I assume you have a mechanical speedo output on the trans. You need the VSS for the computer. Dakota Digital makes a pass thru VSS that allows you to use a mechanical speedo. Easiest, cheapest solution.
If you want electric speedo, you have a problem. The DD VSS sends the wrong pulse per mile than the original VSS.
Any electronic tach will work from the ecu output wire. Set it for 4 cylinder if you dont change the program.
Ok, thanks, I have the DD VSS, so to run a tach use the wire from the PCM Thanks alot!!
Old 12-26-2010, 09:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Ok, this is a 2002 LQ4 going into a 1981TTA. Can I use the stock tach? Run the wire from it to the wire from the PCM?
Old 12-26-2010, 09:43 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

The computer normally puts out a 4 cylinder signal. I doubt your tach can be configured for 4 cylinder. When you have your ecu reprogrammed, have them set it for 8 cylinder. The computer tach wire should work fine.
Old 12-26-2010, 11:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks!!
Old 11-03-2014, 08:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Well I ve changed a few things since I made this post. Now have a 4l80e. So I can run a digital gauge now. Either way its time to get some gauges, Ive been using my Aero Force to watch things. Thanks for all the replys, any one got pictures? My car is a 2Gen TA. With a stock 2001 truck harness.

Quick Reply: Speedo, and Tach????