Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another 240SX with ElEsJuan

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2010, 09:54 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Another 240SX with ElEsJuan

I figured it was about time I posted something, since I've been lurking here for over 2 years, buying parts and soaking up tech.

The plan is:
  1. Finish installing Juan and get him running
  2. Fit 295/30-18s on all four corners if I can
  3. Fix the interior
  4. Paint
  5. Eventually, a rollbar that allows me backseat access
Now the fun part...pix!

Cut the core support out:

Engine bay prep:

Painted:

[/
Old 11-22-2010, 10:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

likin it so far. do all 240s need the core support out?
Old 11-22-2010, 10:15 AM
Teching In

A little background on me, in case anyone's interested...

I was working on a '93 240SX for awhile, and had it just where I wanted it. It was completely gutted, with only two working tail lights, and a "half-cage". Even though the rebuilt SR was only putting out stock power levels of 175/175 to the wheels, the car would move since it was only 2,400 pounds. I had a lot of one-off stuff I put together myself on the car, and learned a LOT from it. My first build, first engine build, etc...lots of "firsts."

The only problem with a purpose-built track car is just that...it's a purpose-built track car. Not safe (can't check blind spots with harnesses/race seats) or practical to drive on the street, and not even registered. I started to get it back to being more streetable when I decided that I really wanted to just switch to an S14. Long story short, I bought a red '96 SE, figured out I really needed a '95 base model, and bought that too. So I have the '96 for sale if anyone's interested.

The goal for the purple car is to have something I can drive daily and put a kid seat in the back for my son, and do HPDEs when the budget allows.
Old 11-22-2010, 10:19 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Irish350
likin it so far. do all 240s need the core support out?
I should note that I am going to put it back in and make it removable instead of leaving it out altogether. I'm the only one who's done it though, AFAIK. Most other 240 owners are like, "ohnoes...your car is going to fall apart" when I tell them I am making it removable.

I did it so I could put the engine in from the top more easily, but I ended up going in from the bottom. The Daft kit* requires some significant trans tunnel "massaging," which is why the bottom makes more sense.

The other reason I did it is to make cam changes and engine work easier. Getting in and out of the engine bay is a ton easier, and you don't have to worry about hurting your noots stepping over the upper radiator support.
Old 11-22-2010, 10:21 AM
Teching In

Here are some pictures of the installation process...

Ready to go in:

Going in from the top, only to discover I needed more trans tunnel clearance:

Lifting it up to hammer the tunnel:

Hammering the tunnel:

Finally in place:

Old 11-22-2010, 10:22 AM
Teching In

After my twins arrived, I took a short break from working on the car, then decided I needed a little something secksee to get me motivated:

Most 240 owners think I'm a sillyass for trying to fit 295s on all 4 corners. Oh well.
Old 11-22-2010, 08:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I run 18x10 +44 offset on the rear of my 97SE with 295 BFG drag radials. It will clear but its damn close. I think that is the max that you could fit without modifying the quarters. I am curious though as to your reasoning for wanting to run the 295s on the front. You are going to have to have some really wide front fenders and the fiberglass wide fenders are crap. What are you planning on using?
Old 11-23-2010, 02:26 PM
Teching In

I will either use the fender flares designed for 240/280Z cars, or craft my own from metal. A guy on silviav8forums cut the flared part from E46 front fenders and grafted it on the front fenders of his S13. I am considering a similar approach.
Old 11-23-2010, 03:39 PM
Staging Troll

man thats a clean engine bay, i have a S13 vert drift car im gonna do a LS1 swap in in a few years after i buy my uncles camaro (its rusted to hell)..looking at all the 240sx LSX swaps..cant wait to see i finished!
Old 11-23-2010, 07:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Post up some pics if you do the metal fender flares. I would really like to see how that comes out. I really want to run wider rubber on the back of mine. I was thinking of getting a second set of quarters are doing a metal wide body on mine but I hate to sand off all that new paint lol. Here's a pic of mine.

Quick Reply: Another 240SX with ElEsJuan