Sponsored by:

Motor mount relocation advice.

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2010, 01:27 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Motor mount relocation advice.

What would you do!?

1, keep stock clam shell motor mount location and fab a X member engine mount that is past stock location by about 1 3/4"- bracing under this extension to the X member for support. This would keep the clamshells in their stock location

2, Make a bracket that moves the stock clam shell motor mount forward on the engine about 4"-5" and use the stock Xmember motor mount location.
I would use 1/4" brakets to relocate the clam shells forward.
This would maintain the stock motor mount location and would be easier to fab motor mounts, but would this work-considering the motor mounts hold the engine and trans up....
thanks fella's
Old 11-23-2010, 02:19 PM
On The Tree

all depends what its going in, more info on your combo please
Old 11-24-2010, 12:06 AM
On The Tree

1983 Toyota Supra LS1 T56 swap, another person has done this swap, but the engine is above and in front of the sway bar-I've got the engine behind the sway bar and (the crank pulley) just a hair lower than the top of the sway bar- I've lowered the X member 1.5" to accomplish this and tried several stock headers before I found a compatible fit.

I wanted to fit all OEM components so the poor swappers in California could see an LSX engine swap was smog-able/possible (this might be me one day)

Basically, I'm wondering if the balance would be safe for the engine block-should I use all six bolt holes, are the front four enough, is there going to be too much off balance stress on the motor mount? Can the trans mount accomidate the possible extra wieght if I put the motor mounts forward 4-5"?
BTW I'm use Prothane inserts to help minimize engine movement.

Currently I've flipped the Prothane mounts so they extend a bit toward the front of the engine and am planning on extending beyond the back half of the X member motor mounts-braced up of course.

Last edited by brian g; 11-24-2010 at 12:28 AM.

Quick Reply: Motor mount relocation advice.