Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SBC mount question

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2010, 09:39 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default SBC mount question

So, I'm putting an LQ4 in my '87 Jaguar XJ6. I ordered the jagsthatrun kit, for a place to start, to go from the Jaguar stands on the car side to old SBC mounts, and from there plan to go with LS to SBC mounts on the engine side. I figured when I got the parts, I'd understand how it goes. From my first glance, I was wrong.

Can anyone look at the pics (the curved brackets in the middle with the 4 bolt holes) and tell me how it would go? OK, I can see that these would bolt to the car side stands, but what do I do with the slots? It's just not adding up to me. The only paperwork this idiot got with it was a receipt. :/

Old 12-09-2010, 11:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Have got no clue.. sorry, but I'm sure if you call them, They will assist you.. post some project pictures soon !

Last edited by bczee; 12-10-2010 at 03:41 AM.
Old 12-10-2010, 08:24 AM
Launching!

Well, I'm glad I'm not the only one that looked at it and said "huh?"

Anyone else got an idea?
Old 12-10-2010, 12:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I gotta agree, JTR should provide pics or drawings of how it goes together. Once you get it to where an SBC will drop in and bolt up, then a pair of 1/4" steel adapter plates from Trans-Dapt will convert from SBC to LSx.
If you lived nearby, I'd be happy to come over and help.
Old 12-10-2010, 01:06 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The JTR guys are super helpful. One is a member here, MikeJTR. You can drop him a line and I'm sure he would answer your basic questions.

Probably the better option is to buy their conversion manual for Jags. They sell it direct from their web site as well as through Jegs & summit

http://www.jagsthatrun.com/Pages/Jaguar_V-8.html

I have two editions of their Datsun swap manuals. The books are well worth the $40.
Old 12-10-2010, 01:13 PM
Launching!

OK, JTR is not a lot of help. I called, and the guy wanted me to buy the swap book, of which other than this mount thing, practically nothing would be applicable. After a little discussion, he said I should use 65-72 truck mounts. I asked again how that goes with the slot on the brackets, to which he really didn't have an answer. I wish I would have waited for the Suncoast guy to buy from, but he had a triple bypass and hasn't answered or returned calls in weeks. Can anyone answer this magic question before I pay someone to fabricate mounts and throw this stuff in the trash? Jeez, this should be a simple question with a simple answer.

Last edited by Earl Filter; 12-10-2010 at 01:48 PM.
Old 12-10-2010, 01:16 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Pop N Wood
The JTR guys are super helpful. One is a member here, MikeJTR. You can drop him a line and I'm sure he would answer your basic questions.

Probably the better option is to buy their conversion manual for Jags. They sell it direct from their web site as well as through Jegs & summit

http://www.jagsthatrun.com/Pages/Jaguar_V-8.html

I have two editions of their Datsun swap manuals. The books are well worth the $40.
See above. Once I get the engine in the car, I don't need anything from the manual. I'll gladly retract my statement when warranted, but for now I'm not really happy with the answer. If someone sells me mounts, some sort of pic or diagram should come with it.
Old 12-10-2010, 01:35 PM
Launching!

So, just looking around, I found these mounts with a pic:

He did say something about grinding, so I suppose I grind the tabs down to fit the slots in the mounts. Hmmm. Not sure how much I like that.

Last edited by Earl Filter; 12-10-2010 at 01:46 PM.
Old 12-10-2010, 01:46 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Isolde
IOnce you get it to where an SBC will drop in and bolt up, then a pair of 1/4" steel adapter plates from Trans-Dapt will convert from SBC to LSx.
I went with the Dirty Dingo adjustables, hoping I might find a sweet spot:

Old 12-11-2010, 08:27 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Sorry for your bad experience. JTR has a good bit of my money. I do remember them complaining about people constantly calling to get information that is in their book. I guess if I had as many conversion manuals as they do I wouldn't want to spend all day on the phone either. but a diagram of some sort seems basic.

did a google search and found this. Maybe it will help you out. If you search a bit I am sure you could find someone that posted every detail of their swap.

http://www.jag-lovers.org/lumps/x/motor_mounts.htm
Old 12-11-2010, 09:43 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would never pay $40 for something that they could afford to ship for $15, they're way too greedy.
Old 12-11-2010, 10:35 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Pop N Wood
Sorry for your bad experience. JTR has a good bit of my money. I do remember them complaining about people constantly calling to get information that is in their book. I guess if I had as many conversion manuals as they do I wouldn't want to spend all day on the phone either. but a diagram of some sort seems basic.

did a google search and found this. Maybe it will help you out. If you search a bit I am sure you could find someone that posted every detail of their swap.

http://www.jag-lovers.org/lumps/x/motor_mounts.htm
That is about what I pictured in my head after looking at the truck mounts. You're correct in that I shouldn't be calling them about every aspect of the swap, but there should be some sort of explanation, when the assembly isn't obvious. I ordered some mounts from rockauto, so I guess I'll see how it comes together. Thanks for finding that one for me. I haven't been on Jag-lovers.org since I did an LT1 swap in to an XJ40 body style about 5 years ago.
Old 12-11-2010, 10:39 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Isolde
I would never pay $40 for something that they could afford to ship for $15, they're way too greedy.
I'd have no problem buying the book, but this is literally the only part of the swap I wanted help with. After I can physically get the eng/trans in the car, the rest I can work through.

Quick Reply: SBC mount question