Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

new plan for jet boat build

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2010, 07:15 PM
On The Tree

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default new plan for jet boat build

I kinda wavered between using my old small block and a LS. Well yesterday a compression test on the old sbc revealed that in fact I will be using a ls.
Im looking at the 5.3 to save money, would like to have all aluminum. doing a carbed setup will just be easier to do and easier to work on and tune at the river.
Are the 5.3 gen 3 or 4 both usable candidates or should I stick with gen 3?
On a boat the only accessory I need is the alternator. What would the hp/ torque value be with a low mile 5.3 carbed setup? searching through all the forum all I get is rwhp and torque numbers, but I'm more interested in the crank figures, as in a jet boat we don't run a trans. With all the cost of everything else like headers, PTO's, fuel pumps, etc I cant get a 6.0 anymore, its just too much money.
Old 12-14-2010, 01:00 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

The aluminum blocks will probably cost the same as an iron 6.0. Save the 70 lbs in other areas if price is a major factor.
Good news is that iron 5.3s w/o harness and computer are almost free. I just got one for my project. And a 6.0 swap at a laterdate is a direct bolt in.
I would suggest the MSD sperk control since it has computer programable timing rather than just the "pills".
Old 12-14-2010, 01:19 AM
On The Tree

Yeah around here it's hard finding some 5.3's that are anywhere near the prices I've seen here on the board. I would love to have the aluminum block for the weight savings but it's not 100% necessary. I plan on using the 6010 and have researched it. I have a old laptop that'll work with it. I also have a Holley 650 marine vac secondary carb that will work fine. I'm trying to do it as cheap as I can until I unload some of my sbc parts
Old 12-14-2010, 01:57 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Also, if you're on a budget, consider a used LS1 cam/springs. They show up on ebay for under $50. There was a budget build thread here with a 5.3, LS6 cam, carb, that showed amazing dyno numbers.
Old 12-14-2010, 10:24 AM
On The Tree

thanks for the heads up on that

Quick Reply: new plan for jet boat build