Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does someone know if DOD will work with manual trans?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2011, 08:50 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does someone know if DOD will work with manual trans?

HI, I have searched and searched for an answer of this question. I have a 5.3 LH6 with displacement on demand and am going to be mating it to a t56. How is the dod going to respond to the manual transmission? Has anyone tried this? Someone must have... any help would be appreciated. I think it would be cool to retain, but if its gotta go, its gotta go.
Old 01-07-2011, 10:33 PM
TECH Resident

I don't think it works as good. That's why chrysler doesn't use it with the 6-speed challengers.
Old 01-07-2011, 11:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

According to this article it's possible and GM is looking into it, but it hasn't been done in a production car.

Active Fuel Management is a welcome addition for the Camaro, but this begs the question: Why only the automatic? Couldn't engineers incorporate this technology into manual-equipped cars as well? "When switching from 8- to 4-cylinder mode (or vice versa), there are some transitions that you have to deal with," explains Rydzewski. "Typically, a good way to do this is by using a torque converter. The ability to control the slip of the torque converter [via the torque converter clutch] is a big enabler in getting good transitions. The whole thought behind having AFM is, you don't want to have interruptions; you want it as seamless as possible." Nevertheless, we were told AFM could be implemented on a manual, and that GM actually is looking into it. But because a manual transmission's clutch is a straight coupling (and one that is hydraulically actuated only by the driver), it is not as adept at damping the slight drivetrain vibrations that occur during AFM activation/deactivation.

I have DOD on my G8 and I disabled it with my tuner because I hated the way the motor would lug and vibrate when it comes on.
Old 01-08-2011, 02:09 AM

I would tune it out when you edit your ECM. It's a pretty neat feature in concept but doesn't get you that much more efficiency in real driving situations. Also - and I'm not 100% sure of this - I think the ECM needs some conditions to be met in the BCM that would complicate things in a swap.

Also agree with RedHotG8 about the switch to 4 cyl. mode feeling funky in my G8 GT. I've never personally driven a truck with an LH6 though, so it may be better or worse than the L76 in 4 cyl. mode.

Jake
Old 01-08-2011, 03:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

could have sworn i saw a sponsor/shop do it.. idk if it was a tr6060 or a t56 though
Old 01-08-2011, 07:33 PM
On The Tree

I barely feel it in my 2010 silverado and have averaged over 20mpg on a mostly freeway drive. I like it and it does help a little, but it seems to come on mostly around 50mph which is much slower than I am usually doing. I would love to swap it into a smaller car though, I think it would make a much bigger difference there.
Old 01-09-2011, 08:13 AM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JRAIDER
HI, I have searched and searched for an answer of this question. I have a 5.3 LH6 with displacement on demand and am going to be mating it to a t56. How is the dod going to respond to the manual transmission? Has anyone tried this? Someone must have... any help would be appreciated. I think it would be cool to retain, but if its gotta go, its gotta go.
You would need to run an auto tune in your ECM. That brings its own issues. Like rev limiting that operates because it does not see the trans connected.

GM doesnt use it as already mentioned the operation becomes rougher, and also misfire detection is a lot more difficult.

Quick Reply: Does someone know if DOD will work with manual trans?