Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help! What trans to use?!? 5.3l carbd engine.

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2011, 03:14 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! What trans to use?!? 5.3l carbd engine.

I'm currently working on my 1969 camaro. Just got done dropping in a carbed 5.3l engine in it. I am no ready to hook up a transmission to but am uncertain what rout to take. I have an old 4 speed that cam with the car buy was wanting to upgread. The orig plans were to buy a t56 but I am now considering an automatic transmission.
I'm wanting to see what my options were and what you guys would recommend and what has worked the best for these setups on these car. One big thing for me is that I'm trying to avoid as much wireing as possible. thanks
Old 01-24-2011, 10:40 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by eramos2033
I'm currently working on my 1969 camaro. Just got done dropping in a carbed 5.3l engine in it. I am no ready to hook up a transmission to but am uncertain what rout to take. I have an old 4 speed that cam with the car buy was wanting to upgread. The orig plans were to buy a t56 but I am now considering an automatic transmission.
I'm wanting to see what my options were and what you guys would recommend and what has worked the best for these setups on these car. One big thing for me is that I'm trying to avoid as much wireing as possible. thanks
same here .. I have just finished with a 2007 5.3L that's carbed to put in my panel truck ... I am not sure what would be the best trans choice . I have a 4l60 in questionable condition that was hooked up to the 350 that was in the truck when I bought it . but not sure it will work or if its the best choice for the 5.3

anyone got any info for us ?
Old 01-24-2011, 11:45 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You guys need to figure out whether you want to go automatic or manual at a minimum. Nobody can tell you what is "best" for you but yourself.

Whatever you do get an overdrive trans of some sort. You will get a lot more enjoyment out of the car that way.

You can hook pretty much any trans you find to an LS motor. Some are easier than others.

Since you are carb'd a manual trans avoids the whole computer hassle. Only real worry is you need to get something with a mechanical speedo output or else you will need either a new electronic speedo in the dash or a cable-x converter box. If you buy an aftermarket T56 or TKO you can get them with both mechanical and electronic speedo output. Doesn't get much easier than that. Keisler Engineering makes complete kits to swap 5 and 6 speeds transmissions into old muscle cars. There is enough info on this site that you can also source the stuff yourself.

Autos I don't know much about.
Old 01-24-2011, 11:47 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

really depends on what you are planing on doing with vehicle. also, what kind of gears and tire height. overall the 700r4 with 4.10 gears will be best if you do a lot of highway driving. a 350 would be good with like a 3.42 gear and 26" tire.
Old 01-24-2011, 11:51 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Pop N Wood
You guys need to figure out whether you want to go automatic or manual at a minimum. Nobody can tell you what is "best" for you but yourself.

Whatever you do get an overdrive trans of some sort. You will get a lot more enjoyment out of the car that way.

You can hook pretty much any trans you find to an LS motor. Some are easier than others.

Since you are carb'd a manual trans avoids the whole computer hassle. Only real worry is you need to get something with a mechanical speedo output or else you will need either a new electronic speedo in the dash or a cable-x converter box. If you buy an aftermarket T56 or TKO you can get them with both mechanical and electronic speedo output. Doesn't get much easier than that. Keisler Engineering makes complete kits to swap 5 and 6 speeds transmissions into old muscle cars. There is enough info on this site that you can also source the stuff yourself.

Autos I don't know much about.
i was really thinking more an auto but I see your point about the manual ... I think the wife would appreciate the auto more ....
Old 01-24-2011, 11:56 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by bigchief52780
really depends on what you are planing on doing with vehicle. also, what kind of gears and tire height. overall the 700r4 with 4.10 gears will be best if you do a lot of highway driving. a 350 would be good with like a 3.42 gear and 26" tire.
I am looking for mild street rod ... I was looking at 4.10 gearing but hadn't really pinned it down yet .. as far as tire size ..lol it has been on jackstands for two years tire size hadn't occurred to me yet .

i was considering a rebuild of the 4l60 i have but wasn't sure if there was a better option .. i was looking at the 700r4 ... but really didn't know if there was a difference in the two .

Really had only delt with 5.7 in the past and didn't know what would bolt up to a newer 5.3 either

thanks for the info
Old 01-24-2011, 01:36 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by eramos2033
eramos2033,
For the 5.3L vortec motor, you have lots of options:
Automatic
- our A41 is a performance build of the 4L60/65/70E family. You can go Stage 1 with our Simple Shift controller for a VERY EASY 4-wire hookup (+12V, switched 12V, GND, brake lamp stop switch) for around $2600
- you could source a used 4L60/65/70E or even a 4L80/85E, then use our Simple shift controller and harness for $599.

Standard Transmission
- KEISLER Rallye Sport RS 5-speed; RS400, 400 torque for $2299 in a complete kit, with PerfectFit shifter position; over 15 positions to choose from. Add $300 for RS500, Add $700 for RS600 close ratio high torque model. The KEISLER Rallye Sport RS 5-speed uses advanced synchro technology found in the Borg Warner T56
- Tremec TKO500/600 - similar to above but more expensive, lesser shift quality (doesn't shift well at 6000 rpm and up, considered 'notchy' by some), and requires cutting depending on if you order our PerfectFit Keisler (customized) or StandardFit (unmodified)
- TR6060 - these are the 6-speeds found in the newer cars 2006-up. We make driveshafts for these, and provide a kit. Prices start at $2149 for these.

If you want to run a 4-speed, we do manufacture the best 621 reproduction on the market right here in the USA. Sold as a kit with inspection cover (non LS apps) $249, or $239 for LS apps. The 5.3L version bell is somewhat unique in that it has the 12oclock hole position for mounting, as well as the other engine mounting holes found on other chevy bells.

We also carry the linkage for most American muscle cars, Tri5, Corvette.

Quick Reply: Help! What trans to use?!? 5.3l carbd engine.