Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel system

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2011, 09:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Fuel system

I'm embarressed to ask this. I need help designing the fuel system for the chevelle. I would like to use a fuel cell in the trunk and go from there. I really dont know **** about this stuff.
What cell or maybe a caprice tank looking for simplest way?

What pump, stock LS1 but will go turbo in a year or two

What regulator

How are the lines run I can't exactly buy pre bent lines or a kit
more to that I dont know how to, use like brake line and use hose clamps? I hear an and npt fittings and sort of get it but how do you buy the hose with the ends or make them? Yes its this bad I'm beyond lost with this.

I really want to get it all layed out and designed out of the car so I can slam the car together when all the parts are there.
Old 01-27-2011, 10:38 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's ok I struggled with the fuel stuff for awhile myself. First thing "AN" refers to airforce and navy and is measured in 16th's of an inch, ie -8AN=8/16"=1/2". Npt is national pipe thread and is measured by inside diameter of the fitting.

Either way with the tank is an option I don't know much bout the B-body tank but have hears that you need to trim the frame rails a bit. I have used a fuel cell and it was very straight forward.

I was planning on runnin an A1000 with matching filter and a mallory boost referenced regulater its adjustable from 0-100psi. If you run this pump on the street you will need the controller aeromotive seems for it.

Fuel line options would probably easiest going with braided stainless hose.

Hope this helps. I will send you a pm with some stuff I have that you could use.
Old 01-28-2011, 09:26 PM
On The Tree

Another option for AN fittings is actually JIC. They are both 37 degree, but the JIC isn't "military spec" which are held to a tighter tolerance, but are quite ok for automotive use. Instead of the dash, like -6, -8, they are considered #6, and #8, still denoting 1/16" increments.

they're a good option and sometimes have the NPT/Metric/AN combination that you can't find in Earls, Aeroquip or XRP.

On my setup, I'm running a Magnafuel boost-referenced FPR with -8 feed, -6 return.

I'm running 100% stainless braided lines, but went with braided teflon lines and not the braided rubber lines. Teflon is ideal for gasoline, but require different fittings. They're still AN/JIC fittings, but the hose connection end has a ferrule/olive on it for sealing the teflon lines.

Being that you're going to run a fuel cell, you might not need too many adapter style fittings to convert to AN. But on my stock fuel sender, I needed 2 adapters, metric female to AN male. From there I had the ability to run stainless AN lines from the tank. Then I had to get a pair of metric o-ring male to AN male adapters for my fuel filter :

So from there, I have the ability to run AN fittings all the way to the front of the truck, where I go into my FPR, and then into the fuel rails. You can see the feed line coming into the back of my fuel rails in this pic: (my FPR is hiding behind the alternator in the pic, but it's there......the two lines from the back....feed and return......and then from there to the fuel rails, which you see in the pic)

All of it is a bit intimidating until you get in and map it out. Then it's pretty easy:

Fuel tank-----fuel filter------regulator------fuel rails
|_________fuel return_____|
Old 01-29-2011, 11:42 PM
On The Tree

Snapped a few pics today that might also help.

Here is the lines coming from the tank (sorry for the blurry pic), but the smaller is the return, and the larger is the feed line:

and here are the feed line (with the fuel filter), under the truck in front of the rear tire on the frame, with the smaller return line (a junction is up there so I can keep the system modular for future mods)

Quick Reply: Fuel system