Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A body-- pcm location help

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2011 | 10:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

Default A body-- pcm location help

got my LQ4/4l80e combo set in my 71 chevelle now, going to use the trk manifold and hope to use the van wiring harness.. The harness has a long lead to pcm which was mounted on the vans drvrs inner fender. Is it best to have the harness shortened or is there a better place to mount the PCM. What have you other guys done? Thanks for the help!!!

Rick
Old 02-03-2011 | 12:09 AM
Staging Lane

Default Chevelle Computer mounting

I would recommend trying to mount it under the dash pad on top of the glove box (if possible). I had my TPI computer there and it's easy to get to. However, when I installed my 5.3 with truck harness in my 70 Chevelle It was too short to put anywhere reasonable inside the cab. So I mounted it under my drivers fender. I used the H2 ECM tray and made two studs to bolt the hood hinge too. You don't see it and it's away from heat/water (not that it's necessary)

Old 02-03-2011 | 01:08 AM
TECH Senior Member

I mounted mine on top of the Trans Tunnel just inside the Firewall. covered it up with a small Console.
Old 02-03-2011 | 07:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

I llike that idea wade70. Course, I don't have my fenders on the car right now!

Anyone else?
Old 02-05-2011 | 11:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

TTT, only 2 A bodies here?
Old 02-06-2011 | 01:20 AM
Staging Lane

Default PCM mouting

Thanks man. I utilized some threaded bar stock and jam nutted the bar stock into the fender nuts for the hood hinge. This way it's a stud on the engine side. you can still adjust your hood hinge without the PCM getting loose on the back side. Like I mentioned before though, I worked with all the existing wires I had. I didn't lengthen or solder extra on. I just unpinned it and rerouted it. The TAC box, fuses and relays are all inside the car right behind the drivers side head. I wish I would have lengthened it and put the PCM on the glove box. But now that I'm installing the Vintage Air kit that would've been in the way. Oh well.

Old 02-06-2011 | 01:33 AM
TECH Regular

I have never mounted any of mine inside the car. My Chevelle has it mounted under the fender mounted to the top of the inner fender. As long as it is not a LS1 this location will work well, but the LS1 ecm is huge by comparison. Wade's mounting is a great idea for a LS1 ECM! I really like to minimize the wiring going through the firewall and mounting it inside always looked like a lot of work! I do like them to be hidden from view, so under the fender works just fine. On my Chevelle, there just ain't much room under the dash after the AC is in.

Regards, John McGraw

Quick Reply: A body-- pcm location help