Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which AC Compressor is smallest?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2011, 12:10 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Which AC Compressor is smallest?

I'm trying to figure out which OEM AC Compressor will occupy the least space on my conversion.

For the most part, I have LS6 CTS-V accessory stuff going on my engine. That accessory drive shares the same front spacing as the C5 and I believe C6. During the planning phases of the whole engine build, I spoke with ATI, telling them I wanted to run that accessory drive on an LS7 dry sump setup, and they instructed me that the LS7 Super Damper would work fine as the CTS-V and Y-bodies share that front spacing. So I have the super damper (standard diameter not underdrive), and most of the CTS-V brackets. Haven't bought the actual accessories (alternator, PS pump, water pump) yet, but so far everything seems right. The belt tensioner seems to be spaced properly.

Does anyone know if the CTS-V AC compressor is smaller than the C5 or C6? Do the C5 and C6 use different compressors? Are either of them smaller? Is there an aftermarket compressor that'd work better and still mount in a stockish location (down low on the passenger side)?
Old 02-22-2011, 06:19 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mike,my swap required me to purchase a complete drive kit & the nippon compressor that came w/ it is the smallest Ive ever seen & I work on newer cars all day.I'm not sure of the nippon part no. as my trucks at work.If you go on Vintage air's website & look under their accs. drives you can find a part no. W/ a little creative bracketry should work good.Heres a pic
Old 02-22-2011, 06:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^^^^ got any better pics? thanks
Old 02-22-2011, 09:52 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mac72
Mike,my swap required me to purchase a complete drive kit & the nippon compressor that came w/ it is the smallest Ive ever seen & I work on newer cars all day.I'm not sure of the nippon part no. as my trucks at work.If you go on Vintage air's website & look under their accs. drives you can find a part no. W/ a little creative bracketry should work good.Heres a pic
I'd really appreciate some more pictures of that if you could...I should be able to make my own brackets to tuck it where GM did on the original setup.

How many ribs is the pulley? I would still like to run my AC off a seperate belt like GM does to avoid having a main belt thats just ridiculously long.

Quick Reply: Which AC Compressor is smallest?