Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 E46... maybe there's hope?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2011, 09:00 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS1 E46... maybe there's hope?

I had a 94 Z28 as my first car about 5 years ago, which is why I've been a member for so long... been lurking again lately as I have the itch to buy something to make an LSx swap into. Been reading heavily on everything from Miatas/RX7s/240s/fox Mustangs/E30s/E36 BMWs etc etc.

I REALLY like the E46 BMW body style, and they can be had reasonably cheap, especially if with a blown motor or transmission.

I've noticed that there haven't been any successful E46 swaps on here from what I could see, seen a bunch of talking about it, but no completed pics. Vorschlag apparently has one or attempted one, but haven't seen that one completed either.

I DID find this post while searching though regarding someone with a WORKING LT1 in a 2000 318i:

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1441801

From the guy in post #16:

Hi, no, no warning lights on the dash. I am running both the LT1 module and the bmw module so that all the sensors from the bmw engine are now on the lt1 engine complete with new 60-2 trigger wheel for the tach which then enables the standard bmw cruise control to work.

The LT1 module has all its necessary inputs to work properly and I have routed a connection up into the dash and removed the bmw EML LED and replaced this with a small bulb to light up in place of the bmw warning light so if there is an issue with the lt1 engine it lights up just as it should do in the right place on the bmw cluster.

I have an e46 m3 cluster fitted and even the rev lights work although I can't get them to light up as far as they should as the engine climbs no where near as far as the m3 engine.

As for fuel pump etc I simply ran new relays and connected these to the existing bmw wiring loom so the lt1 ecu works the standard fuel pump. Also I used empty slots int he fuse carrier behind the glove box to fuse and make all my connections so its all neat tidy and out the way.

So while I will probably never actually get to do this myself, or at the very least it won't be for a long time... I figured someone may benefit from this post.

I love the E46 chassis looks and handling, they just need some *****
Old 03-10-2011, 07:58 PM
Launching!

No wonder it hasn't been done yet... noone is apparently interested
Old 03-11-2011, 11:04 PM
Teching In

I'd love to do this. I like the styling MUCH better than the E36. But for the money, I'd start on an E36, then attempt an E46.

E36s are a dime a dozen, but E46s are more complicated and more expensive all the way around.

I'm currently driving an E39 (5 series 97-03), but the E46 M3 is one of my favorite all time BMW designs.

And as we all know, an LSx improves ANYTHING!
Old 03-12-2011, 06:47 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by autophile
I'd love to do this. I like the styling MUCH better than the E36. But for the money, I'd start on an E36, then attempt an E46.

E36s are a dime a dozen, but E46s are more complicated and more expensive all the way around.

I'm currently driving an E39 (5 series 97-03), but the E46 M3 is one of my favorite all time BMW designs.

And as we all know, an LSx improves ANYTHING!
Yeah, I get to drive pretty much every car that has been made in the last 10 years and REALLY like the E46s. I've also just recently been learning how to read German wiring diagrams and honestly, they're fantastic... there is so much information in them when you know WTF you're looking at

I am currently entertaining buying one, but I'm not going to do anything swap-wise to it until it's paid off... I made that mistake with my Jeep... bought it bone stock a few years ago... now it has 40" LTBs, D60/D70HD, stretched to 110" WB, and I still owe the bank $9k as of now. Gotta sell that bitch first.
Old 03-20-2011, 11:19 PM
Teching In

Flatlander,

I actually just sold my TJ this weekend. That is going to fund a LSx powered E46 project. I am now actively searching to find a E46 sedan (need 4-doors for the daughter + I think they look better) I'm trying to find a 5 spd manual with no power/heated seats, no sunroof, etc. Basically as base model as you can get. I plan on finding one that drives and doesn't have many issues, so I can drive it til I collect parts. Before I start to buy a motor and such I need to sell my other DD car. Its a 04 Infiniti G35 Sedan 6-spd if anyone would be interested please let me know.

From what I have gathered, Vorshlag is going to be working on an E46 kit soon. I have done a few RX7 FC swaps in the past, and the only real issue I see having with a E46 swap will be finding or having a set of headers made. I am curious to know if say the Vorshlag E36 Headers might work in the E46. The damn steering shaft seems to be the biggest issue to get around. I plan on running aftermarket gauges and not trying to use any of the BMW gauge cluster. The motor and trans mounts can't be that hard to build. I'm guessing it will be along the same lines as the RX7. I bought mounts from Hinson the first time. And made my own the second. So I plan to try and document the build once I start. I know a guy on bimmerforums just ordered a LS2 for his E46 project. Here is a link to that thread, some good info/thoughts in that thread.

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...d.php?t=634483

Quick Reply: LS1 E46... maybe there's hope?