Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

P1336 DTC Necessity?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2011 | 06:41 PM
Staging Lane

Default P1336 DTC Necessity?

Will deleting this function from the PCM (programming it out) have any real functional impact on performance, diagnostic ability, economy, etc.?

A scan of my crate LS2 and mail order comptuer (PCM) revealed a P1336 trouble code which indicates the crankcase variation not learned. Although I've never heard of this before now, it seems this is common when a PCM is used that is not orginal to the engine. Funny how these little things keep creeping up... jeez. I would think there would be more chatter about this occurring in LS swaps.

I've searched and consulted the opinion from a few LS gurus. Basically it seems there is a significant difference in opinions regarding the importance of retaining this function. Other than programming it out, it seems you have to have a T2 scanner or take it to the dealership to have the re-learn procedures performed. My car is still in the build stage minus glass, lights, etc. so its not feasible to take it to a stealership. Even then it seems it can be tricky to clear this code.

I would appreciate any input from anyone that removed this during your tune / programming and or has a good explanation on why it should be retained.
Old 04-05-2011 | 06:57 PM
TECH Junkie

I don't think a dealer could help you unless you since it's a swap vehicle. Their equipment will be looking for full emissions, bcm, all of that crap.
Old 04-05-2011 | 07:04 PM
Staging Lane

Agree... I can only imagine the puzzled look on the service advisor if I were to show up with this thing. I'm sure there are techs that would be able to do this, but that would a crap shoot at best.

The PCM programmer has offered to delete this, but I don't want to have this performed until I understand what, if any, negative consequences there is to doing so.
Old 04-05-2011 | 08:13 PM
TECH Resident

HP Tuners beta has the CPS relearn function in it. Pocket had an intermittent miss, at high RPM. He tried coils, plugs, wires, a new block and still had it. Did the relearn, and it went away.....you can tune the code to no report if you want.....

T,
Old 04-05-2011 | 09:10 PM
Launching!

Case relearn is USUALLY resulting from the "donor" computer being originally from a 6 cylinder, or it can also be "requested" to throw the code by the tuner. Nelson tunes always require a CASE relearn when he ships computers out with his tunes, or at least he used to require them as of 2 years ago (last time I used them for anything). GM Tech II scanner required to perform the re-learn procedure. The HP Tuners ability to perform this function must be new, thats nice. Ill have to check that out

Quick Reply: P1336 DTC Necessity?