Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

VATS bypass module, anyone use it????

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2011, 09:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Default VATS bypass module, anyone use it????

When loooking around for a standalone harness I kept reading that they included a bypass module to get your swap running, so I googled it and ran across this. http://www.3rdbrakeflasher.com/index...170471a74a6d3b According to the site it doesn't need the BCM, the main reason VATS screws with our cars to begin with. So do you guys think this could work for our swaps without having to pay $100 just to get our cars started? I know eventually they need tuning to delete all the air, abs, etc crap but for the time being this seems to be something worth trying, anyone using one?
Old 04-13-2011, 11:13 PM
sawzall wielding director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I havent used one, but I have heard they work ok. The stumbling block is that they only work for a limited # of cars now. They work on the 98-02 f-bodies and IIRC the pre 02 vettes, but the GTO, and trucks all use a different system and the bypass will not work unless you re-program the PCM.
Old 04-14-2011, 12:49 AM
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

The two vendors I spoke to offering this or a similar product could not give me a definitive list of vehicles it did or didn't support and didn't seem to care.

I spent the cash, bought HP Tuners and a wide band because I was losing all the smog stuff and I knew I was going to do future upgrades. Money well spent and problem solved.
Old 04-14-2011, 03:15 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i just bought it lol... just 25 bucks... hell i spend that just cruisng my car on the weekend in gas... so i can just stay home this weekend... ill let ya know if its worth it or not..
Old 04-14-2011, 09:41 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 196 Likes on 142 Posts

I've had one on my Nova for almost 11 years, back in the day before everyone was swapping LS1's, it was the only way to bypass the VATS. It's always worked so I never got it tuned out, but I have often wondered what the hell I would do if it gave up the ghost somewhere a long way from home. And like G-body said, they only work on 2002 and older F bodies and some Vettes, but NOT any trucks, so If you're working with a truck PCM, don't waste your money. With HPTuners you can change the VATS setting to the F body type instead of the serial type the trucks use, but I don't know why you would want to.
Old 04-14-2011, 10:05 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 04-14-2011, 07:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JoshuaCole67
i just bought it lol... just 25 bucks... hell i spend that just cruisng my car on the weekend in gas... so i can just stay home this weekend... ill let ya know if its worth it or not..
Cool, let me know. Are you doing a swap as well.

Originally Posted by ls1nova71
I've had one on my Nova for almost 11 years, back in the day before everyone was swapping LS1's, it was the only way to bypass the VATS. It's always worked so I never got it tuned out, but I have often wondered what the hell I would do if it gave up the ghost somewhere a long way from home. And like G-body said, they only work on 2002 and older F bodies and some Vettes, but NOT any trucks, so If you're working with a truck PCM, don't waste your money. With HPTuners you can change the VATS setting to the F body type instead of the serial type the trucks use, but I don't know why you would want to.
I have everything from a 2000 WS6, which according to the site it should work.
Old 04-14-2011, 10:51 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ls1nova71
With HPTuners you can change the VATS setting to the F body type instead of the serial type the trucks use, but I don't know why you would want to.
if you have a factory VATS car, like my 91 camaro was, you could set it so that the cars stock VATS system worked with the LS1.
After having someone almost steal my car (busted the column and had the ignition on)... the VATS system was the only thing that saved it.
since then, ive kept some form of a VATS system on every GM car ive wanted to keep.
Its really easy to retrofit.
Old 04-15-2011, 12:22 AM
Teching In

I have a 2002 f-body LS1 and harness and I made this bypass from the schematic someone posted... think its in FAQ. I will look for the post.

Another question about this: how long will the engine stay running if the VATS is not bypassed? Anyone know? I ran the engine only for 10 secs total to test the bypass, hope it works! Video here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=baR8fjrmI5U
Attached Thumbnails VATS bypass module, anyone use it????-img_1238-large-.jpg  
Old 04-15-2011, 12:28 AM
Teching In

https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...ml#post5448735

by the way, nice job and thanks to the designer... 70 LS1 , I believe.
Old 04-15-2011, 08:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MrDude_1
if you have a factory VATS car, like my 91 camaro was, you could set it so that the cars stock VATS system worked with the LS1.
After having someone almost steal my car (busted the column and had the ignition on)... the VATS system was the only thing that saved it.
since then, ive kept some form of a VATS system on every GM car ive wanted to keep.
Its really easy to retrofit.
How did you hook the factory VATS to the LS1. I thought the systems were different.
I'm very interested. I'm doing a 91 corvette swap right now and our systems are very similar.
Old 04-16-2011, 03:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Question

One more question, where would this module plug into the harness? Or would it have to be wired independently and pinned to the PCM?
Old 04-17-2011, 10:38 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by LSCha0s
How did you hook the factory VATS to the LS1. I thought the systems were different.
I'm very interested. I'm doing a 91 corvette swap right now and our systems are very similar.
Same thing I wonder. VATS come from Ls1? Let me look at it.
Old 04-17-2011, 11:28 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by zamora7
One more question, where would this module plug into the harness? Or would it have to be wired independently and pinned to the PCM?
There is a wire in the harness that you connect it to. Also I don't think it will run at all if you don't bypass it or have it taken out of the pcm.
Old 04-18-2011, 11:56 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LSCha0s
this is going off my memory of something I did back 8 years ago... that said.

On a 91 camaro the VATS system is almost standalone.
the key wires go down to a box thats well hidden under the dash.. this box has the starter relay disable in it, and an output wire that sends a square wave signal out to the ECM.
All you have to do is connect that signal wire to the PCM and leave the rest of it alone.

and even if you don't connect it to the PCM, if you leave it there it remains an effective starter disable.
Old 04-18-2011, 12:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mrdude_1
this is going off my memory of something i did back 8 years ago... That said.

On a 91 camaro the vats system is almost standalone.
The key wires go down to a box thats well hidden under the dash.. This box has the starter relay disable in it, and an output wire that sends a square wave signal out to the ecm.
All you have to do is connect that signal wire to the pcm and leave the rest of it alone.

And even if you don't connect it to the pcm, if you leave it there it remains an effective starter disable.
awesome!!
Old 04-18-2011, 11:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JoshuaCole67
So what happened?
Old 04-19-2011, 01:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MrDude_1
this is going off my memory of something I did back 8 years ago... that said.

On a 91 camaro the VATS system is almost standalone.
the key wires go down to a box thats well hidden under the dash.. this box has the starter relay disable in it, and an output wire that sends a square wave signal out to the ECM.
All you have to do is connect that signal wire to the PCM and leave the rest of it alone.

and even if you don't connect it to the PCM, if you leave it there it remains an effective starter disable.
I found it... VATS signal B6 Drk. Blue
Thanks
Old 04-19-2011, 02:08 PM
Staging Lane

I bought one of the 25 dollar vats delete small boxes off ebay - wired it in properly, it blinked like it was supposed to but vats kept intervening - had a friend come over with hp tuners, clicked vats off and it worked after that. I had an 01 ls1 dropout, everyone said they worked for me, I expected it to. hopefully you'll not have any issues.

you can blame vats if the motor catches, starts and nearly immediately dies, no 5-10 seconds, it fires, catches, turns a few times and dies. I could hold my foot on the pedal and it would cleanly rev up and then die

Quick Reply: VATS bypass module, anyone use it????