Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Map or not?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2011, 01:17 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Map or not?

I hope this is the right section. I am getting ready to build a s10 with a 6.0 backed up with a t-350 and I am going to do a blow thru carb turbo. I am going to use the msd box 6010 do I need to run a map sensor with this setup? And if so what sensor should I run? It will be a stree/strip car with heat and a/c. And is that box easy to setup? Thanks for any help!
Old 05-01-2011, 05:18 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You will probably get a better response in the carb section.

The 6012 box is super simple to set up, just plug and play. You can use the pills to get started, but then you want to set your own curve with a laptop. Check the stickies in the carb section for different curves.

A map sensor will make the car much easier to start and should help improve gas mileage when cruising. Some guys don't run one but I have no idea why not.

Best place to get one is a junk yard. You have to match the connector plug. I got one off a 3.8L V6. Any generic GM car will work, but like I said just match the connector. I hooked it to the unported vac connector on the carb with a short piece of vacuum line, then mounted the sensor to a small tab on a coil pack. Other guys have drilled holes in the intake and installed them there.

Just noticed you are going turbo. You will need to source a 2 or 3 bar sensor depending on how much boost you expect run. The MSD software lets you set up the box for a multibar map sensor.
Old 05-01-2011, 06:29 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes you will want the MAP.

Makes the car drive much better. can put timing in it when under no load and pull it out when you roll into it..

Tim
Old 05-01-2011, 09:05 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the info.