Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS6 Crate engine storage?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2004, 08:53 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS6 Crate engine storage?

I recently picked up an 04 LS6 which will be sitting around for about 3 LONG years ( unfortunately due to money and project time).A friend was telling me that I should back off the rockers to ease the spring pressure.Is this a good idea? I'm storing it in the original crate with that special oil coated paper GM uses which hopefully will stop any corrosion from forming. Is there anything else I can do to protect it while its hibernating? Thanks
Old 02-22-2004, 11:03 PM
Staging Lane

C'mon guys,let me here your opinions.
Old 02-23-2004, 02:34 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 57 Bel-air Vette
C'mon guys,let me here your opinions.
I have a stupid question. How has a 04 motor been sitting around for 3 years?You can back off the rocker arms we used to do this on our race motors if they were going to sit for a couple months during the winter. If you are not comfortable readjusting them just put a rachet on the crankshaft bolt and turn the motor over one turn so the valves that have been open will shut and take the loaded pressure off them, and put the pressure on the ones that have been shut.

Rodney
Old 02-23-2004, 05:17 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,447 Likes on 913 Posts

He said the engine WILL be witting for 3 years.

I would loosen the rockers and wrap it back up. tightly in the plastic. I might even go and find a desicant (SP) bag and throw it on top of the manifold. It will absorb any moisture that might get inside.

Better yet, let me take the engine, and I will make sure that it is filled with Mobil 1 at all times and brought up to operating temperatures on a consistant basis. Its really the only way to save it.

Andrew
Old 02-23-2004, 08:54 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'd grab an aerosol can of storage fogging oil and douche the cylinders down with that, thru the spark plug holes. I'd also hit the intake and exhaust ports, aiming at the valve stem.

It's a sticky, persistent oil that burns off easily and is designed specifically for engines in storage.
Old 02-23-2004, 03:57 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks,I will throw a disacant bag in there,fog the cylinders and turn the motor over every now and then. I really don't want to back off the rockers if I don't have to,but then again if this is what is best for the engine I will do.I'll look further into this. I've had the motor for about a month now and it will be stored for around 3 years,due to MONEY and project time.

Quick Reply: LS6 Crate engine storage?