Old 12-12-2018, 05:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,441 Likes on 909 Posts

That EPAS motor looks monstrous!!!

Andrew
Old 12-12-2018, 05:37 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

YES! Just been looking into EPAS for my next project (not on my 442 though). Definitely document anything you do with it. Lots of pics too!
Old 12-12-2018, 05:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by garys 68
YES! Just been looking into EPAS for my next project (not on my 442 though). Definitely document anything you do with it. Lots of pics too!
Look at the last 20 posts in my Cougar thread. Starts at post #915

Last edited by Project GatTagO; 12-12-2018 at 05:47 PM.
Old 12-13-2018, 12:28 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by garys 68
...speaking of guys who inspired my build and have contributed a ton-whats up Gary! I'm typing up a post covering everything I've learned so far and will probably toss it in the suspension section in Protouring.com. I'll post up a link in a few. But yeah, GatTogo's post at #915 pretty much lays out all the details for installs into our rides.

I'm real excited to dive into the EPAS world, and I have the same mindset of GatToGo- get everything installed with the proper calibration and communications and see how the stock algorithms perform for varying assist at different speeds/driving events--easy for me to say since others have done a lot of the hard work already. I'm also pretty excited to get rid of the pump noise, and have the motor blip even faster now without the pump involved.

Also, I think it's just the angle I took the pic at in the backseat, I would be surprised if the EPS unit was any/much bigger than the prius one.
Old 12-13-2018, 06:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by JetMech442
...speaking of guys who inspired my build and have contributed a ton-whats up Gary! I'm typing up a post covering everything I've learned so far and will probably toss it in the suspension section in Protouring.com. I'll post up a link in a few. But yeah, GatTogo's post at #915 pretty much lays out all the details for installs into our rides.

I'm real excited to dive into the EPAS world, and I have the same mindset of GatToGo- get everything installed with the proper calibration and communications and see how the stock algorithms perform for varying assist at different speeds/driving events--easy for me to say since others have done a lot of the hard work already. I'm also pretty excited to get rid of the pump noise, and have the motor blip even faster now without the pump involved.

Also, I think it's just the angle I took the pic at in the backseat, I would be surprised if the EPS unit was any/much bigger than the prius one.
I think you have a real challenge on your hands! The CAN integration is going to be epic. My guess is that you will need the ABS ECU, and make it happy. You may also need the engine ECU and somehow make it happy. I am running into an issue with mine at the moment, and mine is child's play compared to what you want to do. I am really rooting for you and am eager to see how it pans out!!!

Andrew
Old 12-14-2018, 12:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

https://www.buyautoparts.com/buynow/...Q?xref=2502319

Quick Reply: LQ9/T56 1969 Old 442 Conversion