Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Convert Make LS1 400cui?HELP?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2004 | 10:44 AM
Teching In

Default Convert Make LT1 400cui?HELP?

Has any one sucsessfuly mated the heads and FI from a st 2 Ls1 (I meant LT1)with a 70s
Block in particular a 400 cui ?? I would like to try useing a remote thermostat and useing the head cooling holes flo=wing the colant in reverse likt the heads wear designed for , Can it be done ?? if so what do I need to have made and what computer tools and wireing will I need this is going in a 69 Cevelle , I know stupid questions right But ive read tons No info,, The gaskets look very compatable,Sorry I ment LT1 An LS1 is the new head for the 350 the best and brightest right? sory for the mixup.

Last edited by Rpicard; 02-25-2004 at 12:21 PM. Reason: OOPS
Old 02-24-2004 | 12:53 PM
TECH Addict

No, but keep reading. LS1 heads physically won't bolt to a gen-1 Chevy smallblock. Bolt pattern's different, cylinder spacing is different, they're totally incompatible.

Also- LS1s aren't reverse flow with respect to coolant. LT1 and LT4 engines are.

So...it sounds like maybe you're asking about LT1 heads and FI, not LS1. In that case, check thirdgen.org forums. There's machinework needed to bolt LT1 heads onto a gen-1 smallblock in there. Or, you can bolt an LT1 intake manifold onto regular smallblock heads...check www.lt1intake.com for details. You'd be using a Tuned Port Injection harness, sensors, and computer in this case.
Old 02-24-2004 | 04:16 PM
On The Tree

If you are looking for cubic inches why not built an LS1 stroker?
Old 02-24-2004 | 04:34 PM
z98
TECH Fanatic

. $$$ .
Old 02-25-2004 | 09:03 AM
Staging Lane

If you are just looking for a cheap way to go fuel injected then check out THird generation resource.com. Last i checked you could pick up a 350 TPI complete with harness, PCM, etc. for 1100.00. They also have just the fuel injection with PCM and harness for 400.00. Thats alot cheaper than 3000.00 for aftermarket fuel injection. Hpoe this helps.
Old 02-25-2004 | 11:14 AM
Teching In

Yes well Ive built all kinds of fun vechicals and I really like the LT1 but its lack in serious grunt was discourageing , I have a jucie 427 small block stroker with all the goodies and I have a couple LT1s the one I want to use is a blown up 92 Vett engine
I would like to use the heads after some mild porting and fine tuning compresion ratios
and the FI I want to incorparate it all into my 69 Chevelle Now im not as new to this game as I might sound I am new to the newer tech 86 + lt1 I have a fair impresive colection of old Mustle , includeing one of the finest predesesors a documented 1970
RS Z28 Camaro with an original LT1 350 3970010 block with the 482 heads and 780 holly Forced air Yellow on black , I also have a few 60s Camaros and Birds ,
But Im wanting to chalange myself here and push my envalope learn the computer controled LT1 But I want some fun while doing it ,, 600 hp or bust , Money is not an issue , But I dont want to send it out , this has to be mine ,, Understand guys .. So it is do able thanks now where do I find this info ,,
Old 02-25-2004 | 11:20 AM
Teching In

Default Thanks

Originally Posted by crainholio
No, but keep reading. LS1 heads physically won't bolt to a gen-1 Chevy smallblock. Bolt pattern's different, cylinder spacing is different, they're totally incompatible.

Also- LS1s aren't reverse flow with respect to coolant. LT1 and LT4 engines are.

So...it sounds like maybe you're asking about LT1 heads and FI, not LS1. In that case, check thirdgen.org forums. There's machinework needed to bolt LT1 heads onto a gen-1 smallblock in there. Or, you can bolt an LT1 intake manifold onto regular smallblock heads...check www.lt1intake.com for details. You'd be using a Tuned Port Injection harness, sensors, and computer in this case.
Right LT1 my brain cant keep it all together all the time ,, I will check the forums and I really apreatate your help Rob P, any other advise about the LT1 reverse flow cooling and what to do about it rpicard@yourlink.ca
thanks again.

Quick Reply: Convert Make LS1 400cui?HELP?