Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MAF Location

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2011 | 08:37 PM
On The Tree

Default MAF Location

Does it make a difference where you place the MAF Sensor?

Closer to the Throttle body? or further away next to the air filter?
Old 05-25-2011 | 12:33 AM
sawzall wielding director
20 Year Member

I have seen it both close to the TB and far away near the air filter. I have not seen hard evidence that it needs to be far away from the TB, however, I have been told that you should position it further from the TB (at least a foot) because it will have less airflow disturbance and a better signal. The OEM`s seem to position it close to the airfilter and far from the TB, so there may be merit to the argument. I would try to push it away from the TB, but if its not possible it seems like many people don`t have problems running it right in front of the TB.
Old 05-25-2011 | 07:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by G-Body
I have seen it both close to the TB and far away near the air filter. I have not seen hard evidence that it needs to be far away from the TB, however, I have been told that you should position it further from the TB (at least a foot) because it will have less airflow disturbance and a better signal. The OEM`s seem to position it close to the airfilter and far from the TB, so there may be merit to the argument. I would try to push it away from the TB, but if its not possible it seems like many people don`t have problems running it right in front of the TB.
close, you want it after a strech of straight pipe, it will give you the most laminar flow and therefore the most accurate readings. Where ever you put it it will need to have the MAF transfer set up in the PCM... after I set mine I decided I wanted the maf in the back so I rotated the tube 90*... it thew my readings of 12% (just by rotating a round tube!) and I had to do it all over again.. FWIW.. its all about how airflow is presented to the maf.. Unless your running a big cam then reversion can mess you up, I switched to the newer card style maf that is less prone to reporting reversion readings due to its much improved flow design.
Old 05-25-2011 | 07:45 AM
TECH Resident
15 Year Member

What C6Matt said! It gets noisy if it is too close to the TB. GM recommends 6" or 9" to the TB for the blade MAF he refers to.

Quick Reply: MAF Location