Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Finally going to do the swap, 71 Nova

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2011, 10:56 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I pretty much decided the battery is going in the trunk. The fuel cell is coming out, I want a usable trunk again. Thanks for the tip on the fenderwells. I thought about trying something similar.
Old 10-31-2011, 01:50 PM
Teching In

good lookin project!! keep us updated! would love to do a TT LS in my 68 camaro!
Old 10-31-2011, 08:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by notstock71
Anyone have info on what transmission mount works with the 4L80? TH350 mount is a definate no.
I used a rubber th400 with my 4l80e in my GTO
Old 10-31-2011, 11:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Damn I need to get my nova home and start on it, that looks killler! Id like to put a blower on a ls in mine, Id be fine with a Maggie, or KB/Whipple and cruise the wheels off of it...
Old 11-01-2011, 04:13 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That is one badass Nova you have there! I see you waste no time getting started. You will love the 6.0 and may try it out before you decide to go turbo. I think you will be impressed. I might would go with a bigger cam than the Z06. I have a 236/242@.050 with .580/.590 lift and you can barely tell I have a larger cam in it. Your LY6 has the L92 heads which flow like crazy and love a larger cam. As far as tranny x-members, I have heard a TH400 will come close but will need a small modification at the mount it self.
Old 11-01-2011, 09:40 AM
Teching In

Thanks for the compliments and advice. It seems a TH400 crossmember & mount is the way to go from your posts. I wanted to get everything in for mockup before the snow flies. I have to put my old 406 in a friends Impala this week then its back to the Nova. The Autokraft motor mounts and pan were top notch, I was extremely impressed.
Old 11-01-2011, 10:56 AM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

the z06 cam is a great budget choice, especially since an aftermarket cam is upwards of $500. i don't think you'd be disappointed with the results (until you get the itch to make more power n/a, that is)... that being said, i'd mirror futureuser's cam choice if i could do it over again, as his makes crazy torque down low and still screams up top.

Last edited by hookemdevils22; 11-01-2011 at 11:05 AM. Reason: add cam specs, dyno sheet
Old 01-18-2012, 03:02 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any updates on the Nova???
Old 01-18-2012, 03:49 PM
Teching In

I haven't had much of a chance to work on it to be honest. The engine & trans are in. I used Autokraft motor mounts & oil pan plus a G Force transmission crossmember. All of the parts went right in with no problems. Both companies were more than patient with all of my questions & I would definately use them again.

I figure it is time to order turbos and an intercooler so I can start laying everything out. I am thinking a 2 in 2 out intercooler mounted in front of the radiator will work. I assume I will have to modify the radiator support to fit the intercooler since there is so little room between the grille & support. I have a visual in my head how I want to do it which is usually a recipe for disaster.

I am looking for input on what turbos to run? I am thinking Masterpower but not too sure on what else. I need to keep it on a budget but I don't want junk either. This is a street car so I want something that will spool up quick but not run out of steam if I do decide to take it to the track.

I am feeling a little overwhelmed. I know I just need to plug along bit by bit but its hard when I don't know what the best combo of parts would be. Id like to stick a cam in it too to try & get that nice choppy idle we all love. I don't know how all that works with the turbos & I can't pay out the nose for a cam swap either. I'm also thinking E85 too so that brings in more questions about injectors & fuel pump. What are my options on wastegates & blowoff valves. Again I need to be budget minded. All this keeps circling my head so I am having a hard time moving forward.

Quick Reply: Finally going to do the swap, 71 Nova