Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

66 Impala Convert LS2 Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2012, 04:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 168 Likes on 98 Posts

Got the rear suspension and rear brakes finished up today.....Having way too much fun now!!!....I was going to start on the front suspension but after reading the Instructions I realized I needed to bring some clamps home from the shop to do it correctly.......Early day today.......Time for a Nap!!

Old 01-17-2012, 06:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Started the Front Suspension today.....Got the front sway mounted and installed....and some mod's for the strut rods....mocked everything up with the coilover in place....I noticed a little clearance issue between the Coilover and the upper frame spring pocket.....Humm!!.......Get the Instructions out.....sure enough.....they said to check and modify if required.....So.........Time for a Nap......I'll do it tomorrow....

Ridetech Spherical Strut Rod Bearing.....Replaces the stock rubber bushings

Old 01-18-2012, 08:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

First off..........I wanted to add the second upper control arm on the rear axle assy....So.....I bought the second arm from Ridetech.......I thought there would have been a frame bracket included with the second Bar........So...I had the arm but nothing to mount it to......I copied the original and made my own....

Got it and the second arm installed tonight.....another thing crossed off the list....

I also had to put some additional clearance in for the Coilover shocks.........Buzzed it right out....

Got 1 side roughed in.......

Old 01-19-2012, 05:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Got a little ahead of myself today.....wanted to get the front brakes on.....I forgot to get the factory steering arms cleaned and prepped.........Tomorrow.....Got the master cylinder mounted, need to make a line or two and get some bushings......
I also got the new "Quick Steer" power steering box installed
Also......I ordered almost all the parts to finish the car.....got a call from the UPS depot scheduling a time for drop-off tomorrow......said the driver is gonna need some help unloading...........LOL.......She's gonna be pissed when that credit card bill shows up......LOL.......I ain't afraid of her......

Old 01-19-2012, 06:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 593 Likes on 471 Posts

I'm surprised you don't have it done yet. LOL. You move along quite fast. Looks good.
Old 01-19-2012, 08:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks great man cant wait to see the progress youve done alot of quality work to this thing and love the attention to detail on this im subscribing i want to see this thing through im going to be getting a 65 so ill be taking notes
Old 01-21-2012, 07:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Got the front suspension almost finished today.....Seems the people at CPP didn't notice the stickers on the Wilwood Calipers that said the brake line inlet were tapped 7/16-20 for a Banjo type fitting.....they sent tapered pipe fittings.......also.....I finally found something that is way beyond my skill level and capabilities.......Trying to get those Chinese front spindle dust caps to go on....I destroyed them trying to get them in..........Gonna dig thru the parts and find the old ones........not the first time i've had those issues.....LOL........Here are some pic's

"And"..........Here's what the Nova looked like when I pulled it back in the Garage.....Probably the first time it ever had Snow on it......

Old 01-21-2012, 08:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Before and after in the basement

But .......Then the big brown truck showed up with replacement parts for my "Perfect" Nu Yawk Survivor car......

"And"......I did find one part that is reuseable.......the Trunk emblem will be one of the few parts that can be will be original to the car.........LOL

Old 01-21-2012, 11:32 AM
Launching!

Awesome progress
Old 01-21-2012, 02:13 PM
Staging Lane

Kwhizz, question? The rear suspension setup, on the original 12 bolt were the springs on the rear diff? Or on the whatchamacallit that it is resting on now? And the sway bar setup not original either huh? Just trying to figure it out. thanks in advance.
Old 01-21-2012, 09:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Killer66
Kwhizz, question? The rear suspension setup, on the original 12 bolt were the springs on the rear diff? Or on the whatchamacallit that it is resting on now? And the sway bar setup not original either huh? Just trying to figure it out. thanks in advance.
The Factory set-up was similar.........But......Everything I'm using is from Ridetech.......Probably over kill for a street car, but on the highway my stock suspension Biscayne was pretty wishy washy........so, I thouht I would go this route.........

Ken
Old 01-22-2012, 02:47 PM

far as the delphi steering gear box and suspension did you look that up by application or did you have to build the kit yourself? If you had to get a different steering gear box application what application did you use
Old 01-22-2012, 03:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by minnow81469
far as the delphi steering gear box and suspension did you look that up by application or did you have to build the kit yourself? If you had to get a different steering gear box application what application did you use

Bought the steering box from CPP..........Direct bolt-in......Ridetech supplied all the suspension from their 65-66 kit......again.....bolt in.....

Ken
Old 01-22-2012, 05:23 PM

thanks for the info ill have to write that down did you get anything else done to her this weekend??
Old 01-22-2012, 08:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by minnow81469
thanks for the info ill have to write that down did you get anything else done to her this weekend??

Nope!!.....Just figured out and ordered what I needed to finish up the fuel line and Brake lines.........Family stuff this weekend!!
Old 01-24-2012, 08:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

I finally got all the new Brake lines and fittings installed... got the correct Banjo fittings for the front calipers ....cross another thing off the list.....I also got the fuel line/filter roughed in....need to get a couple fittings and that should be finished tomorrow.......running out of things to do under the car......Time to put the engine back in soon....."And" Thanks to Dave (I'm Rare)for the use of the Eastwood flaring tool......The only way to flare brake lines.....

Old 01-25-2012, 06:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received my new lenses, gaskets and bezels to replace those "Cherry" Nu Yawk Survivor car parts........Put everything together, tested the LED set-up and put them away till assembly........LOL.....When I go out in the garage now, I can hear the car telling me....."Thanks for getting me out of Nu Yawk".......

Old 01-30-2012, 07:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Here is a pic of the wheels going on the car.....Coys C5 with the flat black centers......I thought the black centers would complement the Black Nu Yawk Survivor Top.......17's on the front and 18's on the back.......When I get back the real fun starts.....

Old 02-13-2012, 07:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Spent some time Waxing that Nu Yawk beauty today!.......I needed to get the exposed area dash painted that won't be covered by the dash pad.........

That about takes care of all the messy stuff that needs to be done.......not we can get serious about assembly.....

The front rims never showed up while I was gone so I called there today and they wanted to ship all 4 rims together when the rears that are back ordered came in.....I had an old set of rims that I threw on the rear and figured the fronts would be in and mounted when I got back so I could move the car around to get the engine in........they shipped them out today.......Darn!!...Gotta go to plan "B"

Fuel system finished.....

Old 02-13-2012, 08:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

[QUOTE=kwhizz;15780024]Well, It seems that the lull in the action is coming to an end.......the car (Body and Doors) will be picked up tomorrow....also I picked up the rebuilt 12 bolt rear end today...and, I just about have the fuel tank/fuel pump assy finished.......I really liked the simplicity of the 2004-06 GTO fuel pump as it does not require a pressure controlled fuel return line to the tank......But as you can see the GTO pump is a little tall to fit into the 66 tank...

So.....we need to make it fit.......I had a spare laying around that I cut up to play with.....I won't be using the stock GTO vent assy on the top of the unit......it will be capped off so I was able to cut out all the venting controls which took up a couple of inches....shortened the rods and springs and made it manageable......but I still had to put a lower sump in the tank as the stock tank is only 6 1/2" high.....

Thru wall fuel line adaptor yet to be welded in.....

Where did you find the parts for the pump build? including bottom sump.

1968 pontiac has the same style 25 gallon pump.

Quick Reply: 66 Impala Convert LS2 Conversion