Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ls7 swap project

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2011, 12:34 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ls7 swap project

Well this winter I'm plaining to start my ls7 motor swap. The camaro is a v6 for right now. So I need help I'm wrighting a list on what all I'm going get and was hoping that you can tell me what is better or what I dont need do so I dont go crazy on blowing money. I know going have do a lot of mod to frame and trans so hope you all can help. I'm building for street driving and dragracing I have drove 11sec cars and drove my buddy dad 8.80sec monza spyder. I want power but want be driveable shooting for a 11sec-9sec car really dont care but Ive read a ls7 in a fbody is 11.2sec car thats why I'm thinking ls7.heres the list

right now my camaro is z28 suspension 4l60e trans 10bolt 3.42gears

Swap List;
ls7 gm crate motor
monster trans idk what I want 4l60e/4l65e or 4l80e???
Moser 12-Bolt Rear End 33 spline eaton posi 4.11 gear
UMI K-Member - LS1 1998-02 Camaro - Road Race Version
UMI 1993-2002 GM Camaro Front Upper & Lower A-Arm Kit
UMI 1993-02 Camaro 3-Point Subframe Connectors- Bolt-In
UMI 1982-02 Firebird Double Adjustable Panhard Bar & Lower Control Arm Kit
painless wiring

now maybe you all can shade some light what else im going need and what to look at.
Old 08-30-2011, 12:43 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The ls7 is way cool but you might want to look at some aftermarket sorced motors.The factory ls7s dont have forged pistons and are rumored to have some durability issues.You can probably get an engine with forged pistons and rods that is capable of more hp for less money than a factory crate ls7.I would think this would be a better route for you since you want to beat on it and race it.Plus you can have all the cubic inches you want this way to.
Old 08-30-2011, 03:15 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 178 Likes on 116 Posts

keep watching the for sale section on here and buy a built motor. Waay more bang for the buck than a crate LS7.

For what you are trying to do.... you may as well just buy a car that has all those upgrades done already. Save some serious time and $$$ in the process.
Old 08-30-2011, 11:28 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

alright thanks guys well I've read up about the ls7 and found out thats not really the motor for me. I'm looking at more along doing a c5r bear block build up. I'm looking at ordering one maybe this up coming week and build a motor from scratch I've built a 750 all motor 496 big block befor and its a awsome motor in my uncle car. at first thought be cheeper and more relibale for just do a ls7 but found out the gmpp buit one in a 97 black camaro and they only run a 11.60 once most time they are 12.10sec car and I want more. so I'm looking more tordes the c5r cause I want a big cube motor thats alum thats all motor. my new plan so far is

12480030 Aluminum C5R Block
TSP 427 kit
not sure on heads looking at the one they used on dick harrle or tsp ls7 or something better
intake fast 102mm bigmouth or Holley Aluminum LS1 intake manifold

Thanks you!

heres my uncle motor I built It was going go into a 67 Impala I was building but he end up buying my projecet and I made profit lol he loves the thing so thats why I'm finly building my camaro cause I got ride my built 67 impala
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q55FqNICZpc

Quick Reply: ls7 swap project