Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steering Columns

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2012, 07:28 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Steering Columns

I have a L92/6L80 in the garage that is on its way into my 79 IH Scout. The Scout uses a version of the GM tilt column of its day. It tilts, but no cruise, and no headlights. This is going to be a street driven rig and Im going to want paddle shifters as well as the headlights and cruise control on the steering column. Id like to keep a tilt column and like the idea of a telescoping column also.

It seems like I can get everything but the factory paddle shifters on Caddys into the late 80's Ive seen Vette columns with paddle shifters on ebay. Im really hung up on the idea of a late model vette column but I have a lot of concern about spending some good coin and finding that it would be unuseable.

I know that nothing is going to be a bolt on, the fab work of attaching the column isn't a concern. I would like to use a aftermarket wheel that was a bolt on to the 70's era GM columns.

Does anyone know if a old school steering wheel will bolt on to a late model vette column?

What other columns would you guys recommend and why?
Old 01-05-2012, 03:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you have a old tilt column and a newer column you can rebuild the old column with the new head giving you all the functionality of the new head along with the connections, etc of the old column including the splined shaft if you have one. If you are asking if a column with a airbag will allow an older style wheel then that will work also. I just did a 4th gen into a first gen column build and it worked fantastic.

Quick Reply: Steering Columns