Sponsored by:

LS4 in a 2001 SSEi

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2012, 12:52 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS4 in a 2001 SSEi

Howdy guys...

I gave up on the Camaro project and have decided to build up a 2001 Bonneville SSEi. I picked it up for 800 bucks (blown engine, the L67) and aside from being disgusting on the inside and neglected on the outside it's in fair shape. After a total interior teardown and pressure washing/disinfecting/several boxes of magic erasers, I have the inside looking damn near new again.

Anyways, I'm gathering info for a *possible* LS4 swap, but not the full LS4 package. I'd be getting rid of DoD, DBW, and I wouldn't be running tapshift or anything like that. Here's my plan:

LS4 short block, including the front cover and water pump.
LS4-specific 4T65e
LS1 heads
LS1 F-body intake manifold and TB
LSx cam (not sure which one yet. I want this thing to be a DD but a bit more power than the factory LS4 has)
LS1 valley pan w/knock sensors

Since I won't be running the DoD, I *should* be able to rotate the intake manifold 180* and have the TB point towards the driver side. An LS1 PCM (I already have it, the '0411) will control it and the 4T65e.

My only concern is the trans on whether or not I can get away with using the rear-facing mount point with just threading in the holes, or if I should somehow reinforce that area. I'm fairly certain this combo can be done, but what do you all think?
Old 03-01-2012, 04:37 PM
Teching In

No input for the drivetrain but post up some before and after pics of the interior/exterior.
Old 03-02-2012, 06:06 AM
Teching In

When I got it. After I bought it, it went directly to storage as I was moving at the time. Actually, it was only a month or so ago....

The reason I got it so cheap....

The most liberal use of JB Weld known to man....no, I didn't do this.

OAT sensor wiring that needs to be ficked

FUNK

Latest pic showing pressurewashed carpet and liberal pre-soaking in Purple Power

I've gotten a bit more ahead since the last pic. All the trim is now clean, a 2005 console is being installed, along with the relocated heated seat and traction control switches (2003-05 models have REAL cupholders in the consoles and overall look better. The console in this one was trashed anyways). I went ahead and ran all my RCA cables, and now I am just waiting on the installation kit for my stereo. I wanted to get the stereo install done and over with...once this dash gets put together, I don't want to take it back apart for anything, so it's best to just get it done now.
Old 03-02-2012, 08:30 AM
TECH Enthusiast

As a former GP GTP owner - if you want to use the V8 stuff - look into the GXP stuff.

I know they had a Northstar V8 in those cars - and the mounts, the pcm, and the harness might be a good close starting point.

Second recommendation - upgrade to the 98-02 4th Gen F-body brakes - those single piston calipers on the W-body where f'n terrible and the Camaro stuff is basically a bolt on - not 100% sure on the H-body chassis though.

Why are you insisting on flipping the intake around? I mean your going to have a) throttle body cable issues, the intake will point right to the passenger side strut tower, probably the coil packs sit there too.

Keep it on the Drivers side - have the intake go down into the fender well - and enjoy your v8 power...
Old 03-02-2012, 09:26 AM
Teching In

Flipping the manifold around = making the LS1 manifold TB face towards the driver side fender, like the LS4 DBW manifold. I'm wanting to keep the throttle cable, and a normal LS4 manifold probably won't let me do that (although I can't say for certain).

I had an '08 Impy SS so I know all too well the nuances of the LS4. I will either use an Impy SS or Lucerne Super for the transmission (those didn't have tapshift, which I don't want). I can use the Bonneville mount as it is for the sidepan, but I will need to see what I can do about the front mount and the rear mount.

Quick Reply: LS4 in a 2001 SSEi