Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any problems with using a 98 harness/pcm on this setup

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2012, 01:24 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Any problems with using a 98 harness/pcm on this setup

I have an Gen III LQ9 (24x reluctor wheel) with LS3 heads/intake, 39# injectors, and drive by cable throttle body. My question is would i run into any problems reusing my 1998 pcm and harness on this motor swap. (The new motor is just replacing my old one in my same trans am). I understand ill need a retune, but will i need to repin anything or change anything to make this harness/pcm combo work with the new motor?
Thanks
Old 03-07-2012, 06:39 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

You'll probably have to change the injector connectors, or get adapters. LS3 injector connectors are different from what your harness has on it.
Old 03-07-2012, 08:36 AM
Teching In

I am in process of my swap with almost the same swap... 6.0 lq4 shortblock, L92 heads, LS3 injection and intake, 98 pcm and 98 harness. I do not have it running yet, but I got the engine out of a donor car (98 Z28) and heard it run and drove it first, and it worked just fine.

Either different fuel injectors will be needed. I opted to use the LS3 injectors with EV6 to EV1 adaptor connectors. A custom made throttle bracket will be needed to be made to work with the LS3 intake since the LS3 was drive by wire. I am running a drive by cable swap and made my own bracket with a stock one and a little cut and welding. Nothing serious, just a few minutes time and effort.

I could have used a 99-newer pcm, but I already had the 98 pcm with my swap and it was custom tuned already for my modifications so I decided to stay with it. I have a conversion harness custom made by www.chevythunder.com and it looks and should work just perfectly. Any other questions feel free to ask.
Old 03-07-2012, 01:13 PM
On The Tree

Thanks for the info fellas. Would i NEED to put adapters on the injectors though?? Its my understanding that since im using the ford racing injectors (that has ready been part of the entire longblock, that was in someone elses trans am before i purchased it), then i would be ok. Correct me if im wrong though. Also, the setup is drive by cable, no need for adapting the harness for that, and the mounting bracket is there

Any other problems i may run into?

Thanks for the responses so far.
Old 03-07-2012, 10:24 PM
Teching In

As long as your Ford Racing Injectors are the EV1 style harness ends then they will fit no problem to the LS factory harness. Mine were LS3 with the new style EV6 harness clip ends so I just got an adaptor clip, which is just a piece of plastic with the male/female harness ends to properly make it work the the lS factory harness. They were cheap, less than $30.00 on ebay.

As far as I know of, the LS3 intake system was always drive by wire, never drive by cable, so there would have never been a throttle cable bracket ever, so fabrication, custom built one would be the only answer. I am running a factory 98 camaro throttle cable on my 79 z28 swap, and it fit near perfect length and fit. A non traction control throttle cable, since they were different.

Quick Reply: Any problems with using a 98 harness/pcm on this setup