Old 06-06-2012, 01:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Awesome! I love your builds Parish8!
Old 06-06-2012, 08:43 PM
single digit dreamer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Bumpin' Yota
It looks like the air boat is continuing to build speed in each case when yall lift off of the throttle. It also appears that at idle it's moving pretty well across the water? Yall get a gps unit to measure speed?

Any new updates?
boat is running good.

only issue so far is the wg stuck closed once. went from 10psi at 5000rpm to 30psi at 6500rpm. didn't blow up. we think the dump tube is too short and it is warping the valve. we are extending the dump tube.

the boat is much faster now. changed the angle of the blade to the boat and added a 4th blade. the boat leans a lot less. no he has never maxed it out, it just keeps pulling. we need to get a gps on there and get an idea of how fast it is really going.

we are going to set up a 2 stage boost controler on it. lower the 1st stage to 5psi or so and up the 2nd stage to 15psi or so. less when he doesn't need it and more when he wants it. seems like a good idea.
Old 06-12-2012, 04:57 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That thing is bad *** loving that stainless pipe work. What turbos are those?
Old 06-21-2012, 06:42 PM
11 Second Club

30psi?!

Holy crap!! What did the AFR look like? I'd check the compression on all cylinders just to be on the safe side...

Yall need to max that thing out with the 4 blades!
Old 06-21-2012, 09:15 PM
single digit dreamer

he is now running a 2 stage boost controller and stepped up to a 5 blade prop. it sure feels fast. we are going to gps it tomorrow and see how fast it is really going. i dont see maxing it out since it never seems to stop pulling. no one wants to die.

i am not sweating the 30psi thing. we took a 6.0 powered mustang up to 25+psi many times on purpose and for full 1/4mile runs. this was only a quick flash to 30psi and it had plenty of fuel and no timing.
Old 06-21-2012, 09:16 PM
single digit dreamer

Originally Posted by mdrn69velle
That thing is bad *** loving that stainless pipe work. What turbos are those?
a precision 76mm billet wheel.
Old 11-06-2012, 09:06 PM
11 Second Club

Any updates?
Old 11-06-2012, 10:41 PM
single digit dreamer

Any updates?
sure. after tieing the wg into the down pipe there have been no more stuck waste gate issues. the boat has been running 15psi for awhile now and ripping up and down the river all summer long. very few issues and this thing sees a lot of run time.

one issue we have not figured out...

when the boat is under a significant load for an extended period of time the ecm will shut down. there has been 2 times when the owner was towing another boat and had a full load of people. he was running 5psi at over 4000rpm for more than 15minutes and the thing just shut down.

i wonder if it is injector related. the injectors are high z but not 12ohms, i think maybe only 9 ohms. run those at a high duty cycle for long enough and maybe the current draw is causing something to trip out. the ecm will not do anything, not even cycle the fuel pump. unhook it for a few minutes and it fires right back up.
Old 01-06-2013, 08:05 AM
11 Second Club

Ever get the GPS out and figure out its speed?
Old 01-06-2013, 10:16 AM
single digit dreamer

Ever get the GPS out and figure out its speed?
we tried. seems like we got to 50mph or so and let off and it was still pulling hard. pretty sure if someone was crazy enough to max it out they would end up crashing.
Old 01-06-2013, 11:48 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by parish8

one issue we have not figured out...

when the boat is under a significant load for an extended period of time the ecm will shut down. there has been 2 times when the owner was towing another boat and had a full load of people. he was running 5psi at over 4000rpm for more than 15minutes and the thing just shut down.

i wonder if it is injector related. the injectors are high z but not 12ohms, i think maybe only 9 ohms. run those at a high duty cycle for long enough and maybe the current draw is causing something to trip out. the ecm will not do anything, not even cycle the fuel pump. unhook it for a few minutes and it fires right back up.
stock ECM ? fuel pump ECM controlled ?
Old 01-06-2013, 12:35 PM
single digit dreamer

Originally Posted by oange ss
stock ECM ? fuel pump ECM controlled ?
stock ecm. 114lb high z injectors. fuel pump is ecm controlled.

the ecm is completely shutting down. no hptuners connection. no fuel pump turn on. no injector prime. we tried hot wiring the fuel pump and it still did nothing.

Last edited by parish8; 01-06-2013 at 05:21 PM.
Old 01-06-2013, 03:04 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

i'm bettin the culprit is the injectors, putting too much of a strain on the driver circuit for extended periods. I didnt think the stock ECM could drive low imp injectors, but apparently yours are on the threshold, but only good for low inj pw
Old 01-06-2013, 04:09 PM
11 Second Club

Does the boat start to get unstable at 50? You're probably right, a john boat with a high center of mass + blinding speed isn't probably the best idea...

....but it sure as **** is cool!!
Old 01-06-2013, 05:23 PM
single digit dreamer

Originally Posted by oange ss
i'm bettin the culprit is the injectors, putting too much of a strain on the driver circuit for extended periods. I didnt think the stock ECM could drive low imp injectors, but apparently yours are on the threshold, but only good for low inj pw
sorry. i wasn't thinking when i typed that. they are high z injectors.

i am still thinking it could be the high z injectors. they likely draw more current that the stock ones and are creating a lot of heat when at a higher duty cycle for extended period of times.
Old 01-06-2013, 05:30 PM
single digit dreamer

Does the boat start to get unstable at 50? You're probably right, a john boat with a high center of mass + blinding speed isn't probably the best idea...

....but it sure as **** is cool!!
it is hard to explain. it doesn't feel like it is going to loose control but you just know things are getting dangerous.

the owner is going to get some rods, pistons, ls9 head gaskets, better valvess and head studs and we are going to turn it up. likely max out that turbo.
Old 05-15-2013, 09:01 PM
11 Second Club

So has the air boat gone to plaid yet? lol

So why so much more power than he has now? lol

Quick Reply: boosted 5.3 airboat