Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Radiator needs

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2012, 03:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radiator needs

I am putting an LS into my 51 Chevy truck. Does the radiator have to be a reverse flow? If so, any places to start a search. Thanx
Old 06-09-2012, 04:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Just google LS radiators plenty of sponsors on here sell them. Depends on what you want for cooling. a stock ls1 radiator, a LT1 radiator, griffin, BeCool etc.......
Old 06-09-2012, 07:12 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Doesn't have to be reverse flow. Doesn't have to be anything special at all. Chances are the one already in your truck will work. LS motors don't seem particularly hard to cool.

It might be worth upgrading because modern aluminum radiators are a good bit more efficient and weigh less than the old brass ones. The one in my Datsun is out of an astro van. Works fine
Old 06-09-2012, 10:22 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My LS Z runs the stock copper/brass/rust radiator from 1988. Nothing fancy required.
Old 06-09-2012, 11:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Standard flow direction for the Radiator, most anything will work. Just have to worry about cooling capacity.

Note, most older GM Radiators have a larger top/inlet (return) on the Radiator. As the LS Water pump has a smaller size.. not a big issue, but something to mod on the radiator or use reducers for the hoses. Some Hose have different size on each end of the hose and you might find one that works.

Some of the newer aftermarket Radiator are duel sized port on the upper return inlet. My does and I got if from eBay.

BC

Quick Reply: Radiator needs