Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dual Fan Comparison

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2012, 08:30 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Dual Fan Comparison

I recently scored a couple of F-body dual fan setups from the local salvage yard. Both are from mid 90's V6 donors, unfortunately I did not get the exact years. The dash was gone in both cars so I could not get donor miles either. But I did test both and they seem to function quietly and move a lot of air.

Side by Side:

Option 1:

Option2:

Now, in terms of reliablity and performance is one better then the other? My very well calibrated "hand in front of the fan" test said that option 1 moves more air...

Any useful input is appreciated. Thanks guys!

BTW, I test fit the radiator and fan setup in the car and its a near perfect fit with a few of the plastic features removed from the rad. The original top plate even fits!

Old 07-01-2012, 10:19 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Looks like the motors and fan blades for those two fans are interchangeable. So you have plenty of spares.

I would run the one on the right, the ones with the cut outs in the shroud. There is suppose to be a flap on there that allows air to flow through the radiator when the fans are off, but suck shut when they turn on to force air through the radiator. When you are moving the fans should be off, so the one on the right will unblock more of the radiator.
Old 07-01-2012, 01:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The one on the left looks like my 4th Gen LS1 fan setup...

I have the Radiator and fan from an 02 Z28 on my 71 Nova.. just had to drill the hole in the lower support on the passenger side and use some rubber radiator mounts with my 3 hole upper support as you did. I did open up the front left side of the Radiator support by about an 1". and cut off some of those mounting tabs on the side (Also documented in my build thread).

Let us know what you find from your test..

BC
Old 07-01-2012, 02:30 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Are the electrical plug connections for the fan motor the same? The one with the big hole is the LT1 fan, the solid is the LS fan...

I have LT1 fans I would like to use with the LS1.
Old 07-01-2012, 05:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was looking at the Dorman 620-131 Radiator Fan Assembly for my build.
You can find it for about $90 brand new.
Old 07-02-2012, 01:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the input guys. I am thinking I am going with the one on the right. I have been doing my mock up work with it thus far and like it. It is a little lighter and I like the air bypass design to aid cooling. And when I upgrade to a nice performance radiator I will be able to pull the fan assemblies out of the shroud and build a custom sheetmetal shroud for them. Thanks again.

Quick Reply: Dual Fan Comparison