Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1972 Nova LQ4

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2012, 11:11 PM
Old School Heavy

Received 62 Likes on 36 Posts

Great car. I see by the background in your photo that you are a neighbor.
Old 11-06-2012, 11:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

OK reason is I have a 1st Gen camaro and I have an fbody & ctsv pan. The ctsv pan fits with a lot of firewall clearance but it can hang below the cross member. Maybe an inch or less. I need to mock it up more but if I lift the engine with custom mounts the truck intake may not fit but I will check that when I make some mounts. Has anyone used a truck intake in a 1st Gen camaro?
Old 11-07-2012, 09:09 AM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

modifying the f-body pan isn't that bad. i had a buddy do it for me for like $20. i then bought a second oil pick-up and cut a section out to lengthen the one that's in the car. I managed to do a quick pressure check to ensure no gaps in the weld and voila.

S&P will also do the notch for a small fee. sadly, their website looks like it was put together by a 5-year-old, so I'm not sure where to find pricing without calling them (which is odd considering they seem to be a pretty legit shop).
Old 11-07-2012, 03:42 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i removed a section out of the truck pan and shortened the pickup tube. Pressure checked the tube and it works great. I believe i removed 1 1/2". still hangs below the crossmember slightly, but not below the dynatech headers.
Old 01-23-2013, 07:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by speedtigger
Great car. I see by the background in your photo that you are a neighbor.
I was hoping to see your car at the makeup date for Dead Hookers.

Just cut the shifter hole, no other floor pan modifications were needed

I went with Dynatech headers. The ground clearance is horrible. Wish i would have went with something else. Oops.

Tonight i installed my BMR adjustible transmission crossmember. So happy with that decision. I was going to modify my stock one or built my own from a Chassis Engineering kit like i did on my Mustang. Best decision i have made!!

Should be making more progress again. Gotta upload some pics too.
Old 01-23-2013, 08:06 PM
Staging Lane

Just dropped an LQ4 and 4l80e in my 69 Camaro using the BMR crossmember- it's a great piece.
Old 03-25-2013, 08:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

Not much of an update.

I just recieved my PRO 5.0 shifter

From my experience with T5s this is the best shifter ever made. Hopefully it will be as positive with my T56. Only drawback is the shifter handle is machined to angle towards the driver. In my application it is too close to my drivers seat. I will look for a 'straight' handle.

Old 03-25-2013, 08:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

The big purchase in the near future is a Mast oil pan, Camshaft - MS4 or similar and Valvesprings - leaning towards Brian Tooleys.

With that done i should not have to pull the motor again. I can re-install my steering column and gearbox, tighten up the too low Dynatechs, finish the exhaust etc.

I still need to decide on a clutch, pedals, fuel system and EFI setup.
Old 03-26-2013, 09:39 AM
On The Tree

Very nice looking Nova! I just completed an LQ9 swap on my 71. You are going to love the performance! I went with the Holley EFI kit and absolutely love it!
Old 03-26-2013, 10:05 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 88Fbody6L
Very nice looking Nova! I just completed an LQ9 swap on my 71. You are going to love the performance! I went with the Holley EFI kit and absolutely love it!
If you don't mind me asking, how much did you pay for it and where did you get it.
Old 03-26-2013, 12:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

So where did you end up placing the engine ? that you didn't have to mod the trans tunnel ?.. (back and down?). Just asking....

Yeah.. them Brian Tooleys kit are pertty well priced. Going single or double springs ?

I hope to have my Nova Running sometime this Summer.. but that all depends on funds.. and if anything else breaks.. LOL..

As far as any pan hanging below the X-Member.. I would not recommend it. After all of the years driving my Chevelle and having to deal with Speed Bump and dips.. I finally bottomed out one to many times and cracked it. so... a lot of time spend pulling, cleaning and replacing on replacing a pan. I got a Holley on my Nova and a notch F-Body on my Chevelle now. Just my 2 cents on using anything that hangs below.. .

BC
Old 03-26-2013, 02:35 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by nuckifuts
If you don't mind me asking, how much did you pay for it and where did you get it.
I have a good friend of mine that wholesales performance parts. It was $1400
Old 03-26-2013, 07:16 PM
On The Tree

Tonight i installed my BMR adjustible transmission crossmember. So happy with that decision.
Which Crossmember did you use? The Fbody? They don't have a listing for the Nova....
Old 03-26-2013, 08:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by LXguy
Which Crossmember did you use? The Fbody? They don't have a listing for the Nova....
The first gen Fbody.

The only issue i 'have' is the parking brake cable is pushed down by the crossmember. I have not tried it yet but i see NO reason why i cannot run it THROUGH the adjustable slots on the crossmember.

Couldn't be happier with the purchase. If you want good pics let me know. May take me a day or two but would be happy to help.
Old 03-26-2013, 08:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by bczee
So where did you end up placing the engine ? that you didn't have to mod the trans tunnel ?.. (back and down?). Just asking....

Yeah.. them Brian Tooleys kit are pertty well priced. Going single or double springs ?

I hope to have my Nova Running sometime this Summer.. but that all depends on funds.. and if anything else breaks.. LOL..

As far as any pan hanging below the X-Member.. I would not recommend it. After all of the years driving my Chevelle and having to deal with Speed Bump and dips.. I finally bottomed out one to many times and cracked it. so... a lot of time spend pulling, cleaning and replacing on replacing a pan. I got a Holley on my Nova and a notch F-Body on my Chevelle now. Just my 2 cents on using anything that hangs below.. .

BC
I used the Dingo double D plates with my stock frame stands and mouts. It is in the middlle hole.

I see not reason why i will need to cut the tunnel (the motor/trans is mocked up but not running). I do not belive i can fit the T56 reverse lockout soledoid. I meant to trial fit it but i cant find where i put it

For the oil pan i plan on buying the MAST pan. It will not hang below the crossmember.

What does hang below the crossmember/subframe is my Dynatech headers. I try to look past it but i need to make a change. I know i will not be happy with them. They hang below my Super Comps that hit EVERYTHING. Not sure on custom made or stainless works headers.
Old 03-26-2013, 08:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 88Fbody6L
I have a good friend of mine that wholesales performance parts. It was $1400
That is not bad at all. A local forum has Holley dealers on it as well.

I am leaning heavily towards it.

For daily driver type driveability do you reccomend it? I am concerned with cold startup, A/C being turned on and off, VSS input (if needed), IAC response, pushing in the clutch with a MS4 or equalivant cam with no excessive high idle or stalling?

I really want my cake and eat it too. Big cam and power (eventually a YSI) with a car i can give to my GF and she can drive it without special instruction on how to do it.
Old 03-27-2013, 08:41 AM
On The Tree

That is not bad at all. A local forum has Holley dealers on it as well.

I am leaning heavily towards it.

For daily driver type driveability do you reccomend it? I am concerned with cold startup, A/C being turned on and off, VSS input (if needed), IAC response, pushing in the clutch with a MS4 or equalivant cam with no excessive high idle or stalling?

I really want my cake and eat it too. Big cam and power (eventually a YSI) with a car i can give to my GF and she can drive it without special instruction on how to do it.
Once the system learns and dials in the fuel map, the thing will run spot on. Im running an MS3 cam in mine and it drives perfectly.

Holleys software is really simple and it allows for pretty much every adjustment needed to fine tune the car to behave however you would like. Cold startup has its own adjustment table so you can tweak it in to your liking.

The IAC is completely adjustable as well. You can set how high it revs when you start it, how long it holds it there, how fast it decays back to idle, and how quickly the IAC responds to prevent idle fluctuation from overshoot. There is an input option for a/c but I cannot comment on how it works or how well it will work since I dont have a/c.

Holley has released a V2 software update recently and that made a huge difference in the way the car starts. Before the update the car would crank for 5 seconds or so before firing. The new software has a prime feature that was designed to cure the slow start in LS engines that the previous software suffered from. Now you hit the key and it fires up instantly.

The car drives as well as any production car in my opinion. No stalling, no high idle, no surging.
Old 06-12-2013, 08:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

More loot. Went with the Mast pan, Brian Tooley cam, springs and pushrods and a LS2 intake manifold. I can hopefully pull the motor for the last time. Once the new parts are on i can start final assemble of the 'major' components.

There is still alot to decide on clutch, fuel system, hydraulics etc. I am starting to slowly see the end of the tunnel. Probably $4000 away till its on the road.
Attached Thumbnails 1972 Nova LQ4-lq4nova_zps1f1b2fff.jpg  
Old 12-04-2013, 09:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

I have been slacking on the updates. Bought the GM vette accessories, '13 camaro waterpump to put the upper hose on the left side, Ram clutch, Procomp tbody, 42LB injectors. Changed the cam, installed the springs, had the tailshaft modified for mechanical speedo, installed the drivetrain and am now starting on the wiring. Due to going over-budget i am going to be modifying an 04 GTO harness/PCM for now. I still need to look into wiring up the vette altenator.

Trying to get it done by my 40th bday in January.
Attached Thumbnails 1972 Nova LQ4-nova-13.jpg   1972 Nova LQ4-nova.jpg   1972 Nova LQ4-nova-5.jpg   1972 Nova LQ4-nova-11.jpg   1972 Nova LQ4-nova-3.jpg  

Old 12-05-2013, 11:19 AM
TECH Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Very nice build so far.

Quick Reply: 1972 Nova LQ4